We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

My Story – Last week 3 ladies, each with 1 piece of luggage took a cab from the Blakemore Hotel (Leinster Gardens) to Paddington , where 1 person was dropped off & 2 then travelled to the Mayfair Holiday Inn Hotel (Berkeley Street).

We were shocked at the fare £25!!!

The cab was not a black cab, it was a gray van (we now think it was a private cab.) The hotel called for the cab and we were picked up at the steps of the hotel. There was no meter inside the cab and no fare information was given. We had our doubts but since the hotel called the cab we thought it was ok.

Concierge at the Mayfair Holiday Inn said we paid too much. Were we taken??

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Almost everyone has been overcharged by a taxi in their lives.

At least you were aware of it.

You, and all the readers of this, are now wiser.

Thanks.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

the two times I have had a hotel call a cab,the fare was agreed upon on in the phone call. no misunderstanding and no problems. I did that when I went to the Opera and back and to Gatwick airport early in the morning.

Hamilton
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Thank you for all your advise. We have complained to Blakemore but as yet have received no reply.

We were not stuck in traffic & we only had 1 piece of luggage each & nothing was said about extra cost for dropping off at Paddington.

We'll take it as a lesson well learned & we'll definitely & won't be so naive next time.

NC
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

so how does one go about finding a taxi and how does one know what a reasonable fare should be? should we arrive with a list of licensed taxi companies prepared in advance?

London
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Whenever using a minicab of any description, I would always ask the office (by phone, or by asking the driver to use the radio) how much the fare will be. That way both driver and passenger have an agreed fare beforehand.

Failing that, on occasions when I have been overcharged (a notable incident in Essex where a £5 cab journey at 5pm escalated to £45 at midnight!) get the driver to use the radio to check the fare with their operator. Embarrasses a driver into charging the correct fare IME.

The majority of cabbies won't rip you off, so please don't let this experience put you off. Always use a licensed minicab (identified by the logo a previous poster shows) or black cab. I've attached a link to the TFL advice on using cabs in London. You can get details for licensed minicabs in the area, wherever you are in London, by texting HOME to 60835 (not sure if you need a UK sim for this?)

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…a-guide-to-taxi.pdf

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

I will bet a hefty sum that you won't hear back from the hotel.

I always think it better to hire a black cab from the street rather than ask a hotel (front desk or concierge) to do it but I appreciate that sometimes peace of mind is needed when timings are important.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Yes, you were done. Still, if the worst thing that happened on your holiday is that you were ripped off to the tune of £25 between 3 of you, you've done pretty well.

Probably best put it down to experience, but if you want to take it further you could report it to Transport for London (www.tfl.gov.uk), who are responsible for licensing taxis and minicabs.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

It is it is unlikely this 'cab' driver was licensed. So there is no statutory body to complain to.

It is so important that visitors (& locals) realise that the licensing of taxi cabs & cars involves a criminal record check.

So imagine what kind of person avoids getting a license & having a criminal record check. Would you want to get into a car to be driven around by such a person?

No, you would not.

Hence persistent reminders on TALF about which taxis & cabs to hail or order.

If you are standing on a London street with your luggage & someone pulls up to the kerb & offers you a taxi ride .....Just Say No.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

The URL Gaby has posted above is very useful.

It's an information leaflet about taxis & 'private hire vehicles'. Print a copy off & bring it with you.

Useful text from the TFL leaflet below.

Useful contacts

Taxis

There is an additional charge of up to £2 for a taxi

booked by telephone. Other terms and conditions

may apply, so please check when you book.

One Number Taxi bookings 0871 871 8710

(for bookings through Call-a-Cab, ComCab,

DataCab, Dial-a-Cab, Radio Taxis or XETA)

Zingo (from mobiles only) 08700 700 700

Private hire

For details of licensed private hire operators call

the TfL travel information line 020 7222 1234,

visit www.tfl.gov.uk/pco or alternatively text

HOME to 60835 (60TFL) to get the number of a

local, licensed minicab operator sent directly to

your mobile phone.

London
Level Contributor
11,364 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Still fuming about the cab fare!!! Paid too much?

Whilst you are understandably annoyed about being overcharged, I suggest the bigger issue is that if the vehicle was not a properly licenced tfl 'private hire vehicle' then the driver would not have insurance cover.

If a vehicle (in London - other towns and cities are different) doesn't have the tfl stickers in the window (details in that link above) then it isn't insured.