We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London transport, airports & other stuff

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London transport, airports & other stuff

I have a few general questions for an upcoming trip to the UK in Sep. Can anyone help please:

1. Would it be better to take the tube and find various attractions ourselves, or take the hop-on hop-off bus? Or do a bit of both?

2. I have an extra couple of days that I can either use to do an overnight trip to Paris, or visit the Lake district. What does everyone recommend?

3. Heathrow or Gatwick- I am terrfied of losing my luggage and having a terrible holiday!

4. Is Joseph & his amazing technicolor dreamcoat no longer playing in London? I can't seem to find it on any listings.

5. I will have a Sunday in London. Are there any places that are closed on Sundays specifically? What would be the best things to set aside for a Sunday?

6. Is it feasible to do a trip out of London going to Windsor first and then on to Oxford, and back to Lon?

Any kind of additional advice would be much appreciated!

London, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

Hi,

I'll try and answer all your questions...

1. The hop on and hop off buses are a great way to get around as you get commentary on the way and find out all sorts of facts that you'd miss on the tube. Also I suggest bartering with the price as I managed to get it considerably cheaper than advertised! If you're doing more than one days sightseeing I would suggest the bus for one only and get a travel card for the other one which can be used on tubes and normal buses so you can reach those things that are further afield.

2. Totally up to you - the lake district is possible without a car but places are pretty spread out where as with the Eurostar Paris is easy to reach. Depends if you want to see another city or enjoy some countryside!

3. The issues at Heathrow have cleared up now and both are fine - I personally find Gatwick easier to get into London but there isn't much in it.

4. Joseph is still playing all the details are here http://www.josephthemusical.com/

5. Everything is open on a Sunday apart from the west end shows. Shops close earlier at around 4-5pn ish and don't open until 10-11am but apart from that its business as usual.

6. Its possible in a car as Windsor is just outside London and on the way to Oxford. Train wise its a bit tricky but possible with lots of changes. Visit nationalrail.co.uk and this will be able to give you train times etc..

Hope this helps, Verity

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

1) If this is your first time in london then I definately recommend Ho Ho bus. It is best way to see London major attractions. .

Ho Ho bus as it avoids route planning after long journey and excellent way to orientate to London. It is no stress, no strain in trying to figure out where you are going and where to get off. Just sit back and enjoy the sights from the upper deck of the bus.

All the attractions are pointed out to you so the best way to see overview of London

You get running commentary so places are pointed out so you know what you are looking at without missing out on history of places/ building.

There are two companies, Big Bus and Original London tours

www.theoriginaltour.com

www.bigbus.co.uk

It is bit pricey but if you spend lot of money to come to london so well worth extra few pounds to see lovely London.

You also get Boat ride with Ho Ho bus and short London walk and the ticket is valid for 24 hours.

next day you can use tube and bus

Tubes are quicker during peak time so will save your precious time .

In the evening after peak hours if you want to relax then take the bus as the traffic might have easied off and buses are less cramed .

You will also get chance of having nice seats on top deck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

2 ) I agree with Verity that Lake district will be difficult with public transport, You can go to Windermere with one change at oxenholme station.

There are day tours which take you to all the nice places in the area including boat rides, for £30.

I did it and really enjoyed my day .. the other days just walked near Windermere

Verity has answered other questions.

I would do the south Bank walk on sunday afternoon and London eye..

6) It is feasible with changes to train but you could take a Tour.

You could do Hampton Court.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

1) It's common for many to take the HOHO tour on day one, if you haven't been before it can help you to get your bearings... BUT it's a relatively expensive way of doing things, whereas the tube and standard buses are cheap, convenient, plentiful, and very easy to use (but you won't get a commentary!) Your call.

2) Your call again. Which do you think you'd prefer? I'm a fan of the Lake District, but you can actually be in Paris in half the time on the train... depends on whether you're a countryside person or a city person.

3) Either, there was only a short period of luggage problems at Heathrow Terminal 5 when it first opened, then a problem caused by severe weather not long after... no such problems have happened since. Heathrow has slightly more choice in terms of transport links to town, but not all that much in it. It's a bit nearer too.

4) Answered above.

5) The shops have restricted hours on a Sunday... not sure about anything else, but I always say it's a very good day for walks in the park or on the river follwed by a few pints in the pub.

6) I'm not sure, hopefully someone knows.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

Verity, I done Ho Ho bus few times too and it has changed the way I look at london too. It is soo much fun and nicer way to see london. That is why I want the visitors to enjoy the Tourist Bus so then they get best of London.

Velocity,

Here are some ideas for your Itinerary which will depend on your own interests.

You can start your first day with HO HO bus (Hop on Off Open Tourist bus)

See the Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey

See London’s museum, British Museum, National Gallery, and Tate Modern

Walk around Covent Gardens for buskers and see a show

See a London market, Borough, Portobello, Camden market, Spitafields

Walk one of London's major parks or walk along the South Bank

Go on boat trip to Greenwich, where you walk up the hill to the Observatory, stand on the Meridian Line and get the fabulous view of London. Also visit the National Maritime Museum, which is free,

You could also go to Hampton Court or Windsor for day

Day trip to Oxford Bath stonehenge

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

Thank you all-that was quick and very useful!

-It is our first time to the UK, so yes will do as you all suggested- do a combo of ho-ho and tube.

Do you know till what time these buses run? I understand they run at frequent intervals, so we can get off, say at the British Museum and get back on again after a few hours?

-I am planning to go to Yorkshire, so was thinking I could drive on from there to Windermere. Does that make sense? Incidentally, do I really need a car in Yorkshire (I plan to take the train to Harrogate from Birmingham)? Does this seem ok?

On the other hand, Paris does seem easier, so lets see..

-I'd been planning on taking the train to Windsor (no changes), and Windsor to Oxford (1change).

Londondiva- am thinking of going to Bath, and taking the Madmax tour to Stonehenge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

It is our first time to the UK, so yes will do as you all suggested- do a combo of ho-ho and tube.

They run in frequently so you can hop off any time to attractions and hopin after. But I would advice you to do at least 1-2 laps of 2 hours each to familiarise yourself. Good way of getting rid of Jet lag..

They will give their exact timing on the site and it is 24 hrs ticket.

You can hire the car from Yorkshire to go to lake District. but others on here will give you more suggestions..

<-I'd been planning on taking the train to Windsor (no changes), and Windsor to Oxford (1change).>

well that sounds ok but make sure you got the train timings ok. Plan..

< am thinking of going to Bath, and taking the Madmax tour to Stonehenge.>

yes that is also good idea or you could go with organised Tour. Mad Maxx are v reputable Tours

Gilligan is our Stonehenge expert :)

How many in the group are you?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

We're just two!

Thanks for all the advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

Buy Travelcards from Rail Station ( like victoria, Kings cross) with rail logo for 2 for 1 offers for the days you want to see the attractions. Bring printed out vouchers from days out guide.

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

The mueums are free and some open till late.

Have a lovely time in london

Malaysia
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London transport, airports & other stuff

See the Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, and Westminster Abbey

See London’s museum, British Museum, National Gallery, and Tate Modern

Walk around Covent Gardens for buskers and see a show

See a London market, Borough, Portobello, Camden market, Spitafields

Walk one of London's major parks or walk along the South Bank

Go on boat trip to Greenwich, where you walk up the hill to the Observatory, stand on the Meridian Line and get the fabulous view of London. Also visit the National Maritime Museum, which is free,

LondonDiva,

Can all of the above be done in a Day. I only have 2 1/2 day in London and if on Day 1 i go for the Ho Ho bus will I have time to cover all of the above