We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

cajohn08
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

We visited the Geffrye Museum based on some recommendations from TA and what a jewel of a place. Even our teens enjoyed it. My husband has put it on his list of recommended places to visit in London. The garden in the back allows one to smell the herbs growing and is delightful to wander through, even on a dreary, rainy day (we've had fantastic weather the majority of our trip so no complaints). It does take some effort to find, but the reward is great.

Mentioned in this post
Geffrye Museum
Geffrye Museum
717 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,583 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

It is indeed a charming place. And free too! I've never thoughtof it as particularly difficult to find. It's a short bus ride from Liverpool Street (Bishopsgate side) and or walkable from Old Street.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Geffrye! I agree with you: I just loved it. It made me wonder why I hadn't been there on an earlier trip.

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

I also learned about the Geffrye Museum on this forum, and I found it to be most interesting with a very nice cafe. It was a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon and consider it one of the highlights of my London visit last March.

Mentioned in this post
Geffrye Museum
Geffrye Museum
717 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

Here Here a very enjoyable trip to this museum.

I hear they make a big effort at xmas time too.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

I have not heard of this place before. What kind of museum is it?

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
982 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

Travelinguy: From the web site...

The Geffrye Museum is one of London's best-loved museums. It shows the changing style of the English domestic interior in a series of period rooms from 1600 to the present day.

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

In addition to the displays, the written commentary provided throughout the exhibit is thorough and somewhat amusing!

Mentioned in this post
Geffrye Museum
Geffrye Museum
717 Reviews
London, UK
The English Restaurant
The English Restaurant
334 Reviews
London, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

It is a gem & by the sympathy to the original buildings a& gardens, you have a sense of what London was like a few hundred years ago. Quite often what are now run down & gritty parts of London were genteel & elegant - you can see the care taken in the detail of the buildings that stand today.

The Geffrye likes to have visitors, hence the light touch, education resources (many visits myself when knee high) & nice cafe.

Well worth a detour from the standard tourist trail.

Much the same applies to Sutton House in Hackney, though I am fond of both, I enjoy the Geffrye more.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Sutton House
Sutton House
69 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

Some Sundays an almshouse is open - it's interesting to see how the building was used. And, as someone mentioned, they do nice things at Christmas time.

9. Re: Geffrye Museum-wonderful surprise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 07:32