We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

Harrow
Level Contributor
141 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

The sizes given for EasyJet hand luggage (on their website) are 55x40x20cm yet when I checked the Luton Airport website they quote 56x45x25cm including wheels, handles, side pocket.

Does anybody know why there is this discrepancy between the two sets of sizes ?

I'm asking because I'm flying with EasyJet later this year and have an ideal piece of hand luggage which fits into the "Luton" sizes but not EasyJet's and I don't want to have to buy another, slightly smaller pice of luggage.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,680 Reviews
from US$122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,252 Reviews
from US$125.10*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from US$102.50*
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,817 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

56x45x25 is the standard size for airlines

55x40x20 is Easyjet's size and is the maximum they'll accept

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

There is a discrepancy because Easyjet choose to have their own size of case. So, worst case, you'll get through security and then be forced to check in your baggage at the gate, or maybe they will send you all the way back.

Its no different to most airports having relaxed the rules on one piece of cabin baggage, now allowing two, but Ryanair allowing only one.

Buy a new case unless you feel lucky.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

You'll have to buy another piece of hand luggage I fear. Easyjet are strict, very strict with hand luggage. I know why there is a difference between the airport advice and the airline advice, it's the fact that the airline that's carrying you sets the rules. Airport advice is only advice. Airline rules are rules, and to break them will cost you £££.

Sorry mate.

Berkshire UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

Does anyone know where you can buy a trolley case that fits the maximum easyjet size at under £50. We have smaller thatn the 55x40x20 but want to maximize and not take hold luggage. Have tried loads of places, tape measure in hand and they are either too small or too large. Have discovered you can't take notice of the size on the label of the case as often it doesn't take into account the handles or wheels. We want cases with wheels.

Thanks

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

I bought two Antler cabin trolleys reduced at TKMAXX.

They fit perfectly into the Easyjet baggage testing stand.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

We flew on EasyJet twice during the last 45 days. On both occasions we only traveled with carry on luggage and had no one from EasyJet give it a second glance. Our carry ons were the "eBags Weekender Convertible" bags from eBags (22" x 14" x 9" and available through the internet). I just checked and they are currently selling for less than $60.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
103 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

Being an American I did not know what a trolley case was, but I just realized that it is luggage with wheels. So, you should ignore my last posting since the carry on luggage we used and which I was recommending does not have wheels.

smokingjoe78
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

exactly. I have never had anyone ever check the size of my hand luggage at easy jet. They only stipulate that it should be able to fit in the over head hold.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

A word of warning!!

I flew back from Palma a week ago with Easyjet with my daughter and grandson. We all had correctly sized cabin bags but the two Easyjet employees at the boarding gate were being very "jobsworth". The plane was already over half an hour late arriving at the airport so you would have thought it was in every-one's interest to get people boarded asap but they were stopping everyone and making them put their bags in the baggage size checker. All our three bags fitted but we were told they didn't fit easily enough so would have to put our bags in the hold. With a little bit of rearranging the contents we then put our bags in the checker where they then all fitted in "easily". Going through the gate we were asked to put our bags again in the checker. I explained they had already seen they fitted in easily but they still wanted us to do it again. This was repeated with everyone who had cabin bags. One poor grandmother had a handbag and a small pink rucksack which belonged to her grandaughter who had alreading gone through as she was under five. They wouldn't let her carry it on. This was repeated over and over and it took ages to board the plane with people coming on with towels round their necks and having to wear jumpers although it was really hot. Looking in the overhead lockers once everyone was finally boarded there was loads of space left even though it was a full flight. The captain announced he couldn't understand why it had taken so long to get the plane boarded!

This also happened to us at Gatwick where we were not allowed to take on the carrier bag of newspapers and books bought in the airport so my husband put them in his hand luggage but then it made his bag too big for the bag checker so they put it in the hold.

Normally I think the staff use a bit of common sense

and I understand the necessity to limit the amount of hand luggage taken on board but when you are arguing about millimetres then I feel it's taking things a bit too far.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EasyJet carry-on hand luggage

Yes mayaling, but this is what budget carriers are like, and I think if one knows that then one really needs to plan for it. I take a small bag on board that has plenty of room left in it (in fact it's virtually empty... a book, an iPod, an eyeshade, earplugs and a fleece) and then if I buy anything at duty free or the bookshop, it fits inside no problem. In my view (and that's all it is, I know people differ on this) you don't need a small suitcase in the cabin with you. It's really just an attempt to circumvent the rules and get away with not checking your luggage.