We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Borough Market Fridays??

Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Borough Market Fridays??

I will be in London early July with my 18-year-old daughter. I understand that the Borough Market is ridiculously busy on Saturday -- is it the same on Friday? Does the Friday market have the same vendors as Saturday? Thanks in advance for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

Fridays are busy as well, with a full market on the go. I usually visit on Fridays as it's crowded enough for me - can't imagine what Saturdays must look like.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

I was thinking of getting to the Borough Market on the way to Greenwich, what time do they open on Saturdays? Earlier the better - stock up on lunch/picnic fixings for after we pose for the obligatory Meridian straddle.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

The Market opens at 0900 on Saturdays, giving a chance for an early start.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

I was at Borough Market around 10am a few months ago on a Friday. It was completely dead until the lunch rush started (at least compared to a Saturday). It was nice to be able to walk around but I did miss the buzz that a full market has. Most of the same vendors were there.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

I shop at Borough Market most weekends. If you get there before 10.30 the crowds are normally still reasonably thin. Before 10 is even better. If you want a coffee the queue at Monmouth Coffee by the market entrance is normally shorter and moves faster than than the one from the shop in Stoney Street.

My routine normally goes, coffee, then Green Market, then wander round main market, then buy what looks good and is the priced the best, then perhaps meet friends for a brunch or simply go home!

A couple of weeks ago Borough provided lunch for a picnic at Hyde Park (ciabatta, parma ham, parmesan, rocket, strawberries and melon).

UK
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

If you go on Friday, avoid between 12 noon and 2.30, cos that's when crowds of people descend on it for lunch. I tend to go early Saturday, to be round and finished by 10am.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

I go on a sat early when visiting London and get bits and pieces for a picnic. Last time we ate it in Covent Garden which was very enjoyable.

Level Contributor
51 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

Thanks so much for your responses. Sounds like it might be worth going on a Friday or early Saturday. we have tickets to the Open Air theatre matinee on Saturday anyway so that will be perfect. Thanks again!

9. Re: Borough Market Fridays??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2009, 06:18