We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chip vs. no chip credit cards

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Topic
chip vs. no chip credit cards

i know that this question has been asked in the past but the last posting is in '08.

my daughter is leaving for london on wed. to study for 6 weeks. in her packet of information was a statement that our credit cards would not work unless they have a chip.

i was in the south of england 6 weeks ago and used my card at a jeweler and church gift shop but was denied use at a grocery store.

just wanted to check with y'all.

thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,391 Reviews
from US$125.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.90*
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,177 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

I hope the rest of the information in the pack is better than that claim.

She will be able to use non-chip CCs in the UK though it has been drummed in UK shop assistants that you need a Chip & PIN. THIS IS NOT TRUE. She might have to be insistent in order for them to be accepted and may have to bring the supervisor or manager into the situation. Foreign CCs can still be signed for, though they will need to have the person's signature on them rather than the rather stupid "check ID".

As for the grocery store - some stores don't accept CCs at all

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,777 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

My Canadian-issued cards without a chip in place have worked in London as recently as March, as have yours six weeks ago. I have two cards with chip and PIN in place, and those cards work in London as well.

I've used both types of cards at bigger branches of Sainsbury's and Waitrose, and both have been accepted.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

<<in her packet of information was a statement that our credit cards would not work unless they have a chip.>>

Well, that's rubbish and as per alanrow I hope there is better info in the rest of her pack. Foreign (non chip) cards are certainly accepted here, if they weren't the entire tourism industry of the UK would grind to a halt in minutes !

Some ill-informed shop assistants may believe all cards must have chips and need a PIN but not even all UK cards have chips, for example blind people don't find entering PINs easy, so they can get cards they sign instead. If her card is rejected she should ask for the manager, in your case it was no doubt a poorly trained till assistant who probably isn't used to many non-UK cards.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

I have a Visa debit/atm card from my US bank. I used it all the time in England,for food,shopping,restaurants with no problems. I also used it to withdraw money from cashpoints. no clerk ever asked me what kind of card it was,just accepted it. I did remember to change the pin before leaving and to tell my bank I was going overseas. Had more problems with my AMEX card,some machines didn't accept it,couldn't read it,asked for PIN. I just gave up and used my debit card.

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

Ugh, stupid or not, all of my cards have "CID" on the back, rather than my signature (at least where I am, unless they know me, all the merchants ask for my ID) - so, do I have to now go try to fit a signature on them too?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

thank you for all the information.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

<<< so, do I have to now go try to fit a signature on them too? >>>

No you get new cards - unless your name is "CID swellesleynot".

Question - what exactly does "check id" prove if written instead of your signature?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

> all of my cards have "CID" on the back <

What does this mean?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,970 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

It means you get arrested for impersonating a police officer :-)

("See Identification")

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chip vs. no chip credit cards

For some reason some people believe that it means 'check ID' except that certainly in the UK, and I'm pretty sure also in the USA, it has no actual standing at all. (AFAIK, in theory, they should actually refuse it)

PLus AFAICS its pointless as you are protected from fraud if you signed teh card isnted of writing 'CID' on it, and its easily circumvented (what ID is valid? One you just run up on your laminating machine), so its a mystery to me why people want to protect the card issuer from fraud. Just kind hearted I suppose?