We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Itinerary / HELP

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Family Itinerary / HELP

I am overwhelmed... been reading previous post, FAQ, and doing some research - but so much information.

About us - family of 5, 2 adults, son - 12, daughter - 8 and daughter - 4. We will be visiting in April 2010. My kids like real food (not kids meals or chain restaurants and love theater and museums) They are very good travelers.

Hotel - thinking about the Barry house as the have family rooms that sleep 5 - but it has mixed reviews. Don't need fancy smancy - but also want to relax and we will be spending time in the room to rest and relax so don't want it too crowded either. A hotel with an indoor pool would be great. Always nice before bedtime.

Any and all comments or advice would be great - Am I missing anything that shouldn't be left off? Anythign that really isn't worth the visit. Here is what I have so far

THURSDAY

arrive afternoon

evening ride on the London Eye

FRIDAY

Buckingham Palace

Changing of the Guards (11:30 am)

Westminster Abbey

St. James Park

Big Ben and Houses of Parliament

SATURDAY

Thames River Cruise Bond style or the Duck Tours (morning)

Tower Bridge

Crown Jewels

Tower of London

London Dungeons

SUNDAY

Brick Lane – Market / Lunch

Petticoat Lane

London Zoo

MONDAY

Private Tour: Harry Potter Black Taxi Tour of London (@ 9:00 am – noon)

Shopping – Harrods & Hamleys

The British Museum

Trafalgar Square

TUESDAY

on our way to PARIS.

Thank you in advance for your help!

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

That sounds a sensible itinerary. Duck Tours are great, but do remember to book reasonably well in advance to be sure of getting the timeslot you want.

On Friday, St James's Park is lovely but I wouldn't worry too much about going on to the Houses of Parliament if the children are getting tired, as you will see them from the river on Saturday morning.

For Saturday, London Dungeons may be rather scary for a 4 year old. Their target market seems to be teenagers. The Tower of London, on the other hand, can easily fill the afternoon anyway.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

The Barry House is very much a budget option so if you want a hotel with a pool then you will have to look at getting two rooms and upping your budget considerably.

If you want to that then please let us know your per room budget and we can see if we can suggest some places.

Otherwise your plans look eminently sensible although I would also vote against the London Dungeon, your kids are way too young. If you have time that day I would wander along the river past Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market and The Golden Hinde (a replica of Drake's boat that circumnavigated the globe in the 16th century) to Shakespeare's Globe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

> For Saturday, London Dungeons may be rather scary for a 4 year old. <

I think that's something of an understatement :) I'd hope they wouldn't let a child that young in, TBH.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

Thank you - the dungeons are off (although maybe my hubby and son can explore with the girls and I).

The less I spend on the hotel the more I can spend on dining :) - I would say under 200 - 250 pounds a night total. Pool isn't necessary - just nice, location is important - comfort also is.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

that should read - withOUT the girls - not with.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

I live in Calif as well and know that after a 12-13 hour flight,jet lag sets in,no matter how hard I try not to let it. the four year old may not have problems,but the rest of you will. I see you have most sites bunched together in the same area,which is good. the zoo is on the other side of London,so that is a bit of a way to go from the markets.

the evening ride on the eye the same day you get in may be ok,depends on how tired you are. but it looks ok,just leave some down time in as well.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

We get in at noon - luckily a nonstop overnight flight so - jet lag will be bad - but not as bad as it could be :) I am hoping to try to get them on British time as soon as possible - so am hoping that the London Eye will be a draw enough to keep them moving after a nap in the afternoon if needed.

Is there easy transportation on Sunday between shopping and the zoo - or is it going to be one of those - why am I doing this days :).

Our itinerary is always just suggested and we go with the flow once we get there.

Thank you for all the suggestions and comments. Keep them coming :)

Also - any good recommendation for food in the areas - no chains, no fast food - one or two nicer meals and the rest just good food (all types)

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

The Zoo is a tube plus bus ride - might well be a 'why am I doing this?' moment. From Petticoat Lane, you could walk down to the Thames and into St Katherine's Dock or across Tower Bridge to the riverside cafes etc. Or walk to Tower Gateway station, and take the DLR (great fun: driverless trains which go through the modern architecture of Docklands) to Greenwich, full of historic buildings and a lovely park.

9. Re: Family Itinerary / HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2009, 09:18