We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve In London

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve In London

Can the London experts tell me their idea of a perfect New Years Eve in London? We're going to be there, with bells on, but haven't a clue what to do~~~Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve In London

Hi there, I suppose it depends a lot on what your preferences are. I was there with my son, whose wife was in South Africa, so things like going to clubs etc were not really an option. We had a great time though, went to a few different pubs and just chilled soaking up the atmosphere, then made our way towards Big Ben, I got rather claustrophobic at Westminster station, because it took us over and hour to get out of the station, everyone behaved beautifully, it is just being wedged so close to so many people always sets my mind racing as to what COULD happen and then I start to panic! Then we stood for about an hour just chatting and having a drink (we had brought some snacks etc in a backpack). There were so many friendly different people, had a really interesting chat to a young man from Russia who had come over especially to celebrate New Year!

Then the Count Down, and the Big Ben struck and the fireworks from the sit of the London Eye.

In retrospect, I would rather be on that side of the river this time, because, naturally the buildings blocked much of the fireworks out and Big Ben stands tall and you can see it from there.

Interested to see what others suggest.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve In London

My ideal NYE in London is sitting at home and watching it on the TV. No crowds, friendly atmosphere, cheap drink and you get to see everything. Going in to central London is the complete opposite.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve In London

Definitely I'd be on the South Bank (from Waterloo) because you'd get the best views and there are more open spaces to drift away into if the crowds get too much.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve In London

PS Though I agree with Mr C. Actually what I often do is go to a local restaurant/pub - nice atmosphere without the frenzy.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve In London

Best thing for a Londoner to do on NYE - get out of London!

6. Re: New Years Eve In London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2005, 16:11
london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve In London

But you'd need to book a restaurant/get tickets for a club well in advance for New Year's Eve, surely?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve In London

Jonmagee

Do you own MyHotel ?

Every one of your posts has recommended this hotel only. You even managed to recommended it in a post asking about trains to Windsor ! and one about designer outlets in Bicester and Paris !!!!!!!!!!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve In London

Thank-you, all, for your information. I'm always amazed at the quality of your advice, and the time you take out of a busy day to get it to press, so to speak.

Someone told me that the big hotels always do a bash, so I corresponded with the Savoy, who got back to me promptly and graciously, but apparently, you have to be a guest at the hotel to take part.

We were able to get a great suite at the London Elizabeth, 4 Lancaster Terrace, using thier excellent pound=euro=dollar deal for the off-season. Staying at this quirky, character-rich hotel should be a blast, we hope, and I'll try to write a solid review.

It should be an outstanding trip~~thanks again!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve In London

Look forward to your report when you get back, meantime enjoy your planning for the trip and keep us posted regarding your ideas etc. This forum is a fun place to be.