We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jumping the queue

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
jumping the queue

there was feature about this on a TV show here in the states. I know that jumping queues is just not done,and it is considered to be extremely rude. in the US,we are not very good or keen at doing so. just wondering if travelers to London observe the queue etiquette when there and not at home. also,do Londoners,when they are in the US,still queue,or "when in Rome"? I find myself getting in the queue when I am there. the only place we have a line is at the BART* stations in San francisco,only because the platforms aren't big enough to spread out.

*underground for those who don't know what that is.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jumping the queue

We're British, therefore we queue. It's what we do. Even when abroad we still try to be civilised about it despite being jostled and gazumped by hordes of French schoolkids who have been brought up to be impolite.

It is a cross we have to bear :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jumping the queue

..but if someone does jump the queue, we don't say anything, we just look.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jumping the queue

glaringly or politely? what about jumping a taxi rank? punishable by imprisonment? sent to the end of the line? I find the line quite civilised and much nicer than all going for the bus door at the same time. people on BART,if they are not regular riders,tend to bunch up at the door or try to get on the train before the people have exited the train. drives me bonkers!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,992 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jumping the queue

We'll glare. Really menacingly. If it's really bad, we tutt loudly. That shows we mean business.

Normally at taxi queues at stations and airports, there is a taxi marshall to prevent any undo queue-jumping

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jumping the queue

No-on at my bus stops seems to understand queueing any more. There's very little acting pushing, just a lack of a queue and a lack of patience and politeness.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jumping the queue

So far I have always seen people queue for taxi ranks and never jumping the queue.

But recently I have noticed people not queueing for buses. If you have heavy bags and try to pick them, some behind you will just walk past and get in the bus.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jumping the queue

I was at my local shopping centre at the weekend and they were queuing to get in the lift, the toilet (ladies of course), the car park paying thingy, it seems that it is a British thing. I do try to queue up when in other countries but if i see a few people queue jumping then why not lol. I like to think the British are sheep lol all follow the peson in front lol

J x

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: jumping the queue

I love a good queue as much as the next chap but I do get alarmed by the queues you get at bars in London airports. I can't understand why there, of all places, it has been deemed that you ought to queue up in a single line when it's busy. You know sort of scientifically speaking if you have a bar then all of the bar should be active apart from the part used for collecting glasses. So rather than having a queue of people arriving at one solitary point of the bar, people should approach any open area of bar as of course happens in UK pubs. But strangely at the airport all these rules seem to be thrown out the window and you queue up like Oliver Twist... I can't understand it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jumping the queue

I too have noticed this strange airport phenomenon. Of course when you wait at a bar in a "normal" pub there is still a queueing system and it is bad form to be served ahead of someone who was already waiting.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
319 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jumping the queue

Bar staff should be trained in serving etiquette. Many is the occasion I have had in a busy pub where the bar person has only served the bod directly in front of them rather than checking out his 'area' to see who has been there longest. I have literally been standing to the left or right of someone for an absolute age while 3 people next to me get served and I get overlooked.

In actual fact often when it comes to beer, it's every man (or woman) for themselves.

Yet you are so right, in airports something seems to be different.

Supermarket self checkout queues have yet to conform to a norm but my local Asda is getting there. You will still see the odd person standing there thinking that the checkout on the right will be theirs next, until they get the glare from the next person who is patiently queueing to be the next person to get the first one free out of the four or six available.