We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checkin times -Heathrow

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
152 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Checkin times -Heathrow

We have 3 flights out of Heathrow this summer and i need to know how soon we need to check in.

1.Departing to Ethiopia

2.Departing to Munich

3.Departing to Canada (our home)

thankyou

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

It varies, depending on the airline.

Some say 2 hours, some 2.5, a few say 3 hours.

Probably an hour for the Munich flight, although I would allowmore in case of delays at Security.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
152 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

1. Ethiopian airlines

2. British Air

3. Air Canada

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

Well, if you go to their websites, you may find nuggets like -

"All check-in counters are opened 3 hours before departure and counters are closed 1 hour before departure", from Ethiopian Airlines.

BA seem to want every to do online checkin. I couldn't find a time limit on checkin.

Probably simplest if you look at their sites or give them a call. Some travel agents would have printed the information with the tickets.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,297 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

Short haul (Munich) 2 hours

Long haul (Ethiopia/Canada) 3 hours.

If you can check in online and print boarding cards you could shave off 30 mins.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

When I flew to the States with British Airways a couple of months ago they said that if you had checked in online you had to get there 40 minutes prior to departure at the latest. Personally I wouldn't risk leaving it that late, but I was surprised at how short a time it was. It's years since I've seen any airline suggest less than two hours.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

Wansteader

I have read on here that if you arrive 35 minutes before departure, then you simply won't be allowed through security. So there is some logic in the 40 minute deadline, but I agree, it's cutting it too fine.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,355 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

It's true, peter. When BA opened T5 they wanted to aim towards as many on time departures as possible, so the rule that pax must have completed conformance by no later than T-35min is in place with BA staff adhering to the rule.

If your flight to MUC departs early-ish in the morning, then check in online and get to T5 not much later than 90 minutes before scheduled departure. Security can take a while at that terminal building, so better to have time for a cup of tea than miss your plane.

For long haul flights, not much later than T-2.5h, I'd say. Security queues are hit or miss - I waited about three minutes at T1 today - again depending on time of day and day of the week; ultimately it's better to be too early than too late.

8. Re: Checkin times -Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2009, 07:19