We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

OK, here's my problem. My little sister moves up to London next weekend. We had originally planned to include her in an in-laws visit to the Ritz for tea, but the lovely boyfriend muddled up the numbers and there isn't room, and they won't squeeze 9 onto a table for 8 despite our best begging (and despite my sister being an actual natural size zero... groan). We live in hope of cancellations.

In the meantime, I'm planning to meet her afterwards to treat her to a few fabulous London cocktails. She's spent a fair bit of time on the South Bank so I want to avoid that so she can try something new. I'm thinking upscale hotel bar or somewhere uber cool, she's a Sex & the City fashionista if ever you saw one.

On my shortlist are:

The Long Bar

Lounge Lover (but we may be a tad overdressed coming from the Ritz)

downstairs bar @ The Crazy Bear (still love the loos!)

Milk & Honey

She's been to the OXO tower before. I like Lab but looking for somewhere more glam.

So, if you were to pick just one glam cocktail bar in London (anywhere), which one would it be?

London, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

In my opinion the best bar in London is just opposite the Ritz hotel - Mahiki!!

Its Hawaiian themed and very cool, and serve a wide variety of glamourous cocktails that come in everything from hollowed out pineapples through to a treasure chest!!

The bar is firmly on the London scene which will delight your Sex and the City sis, and is always in the papers as a celebrity hangout and favourite of the Princes.

Enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

I quite often use the Clarence in Dover Street, and so often walk past Mahiki. For some reason, it often has a queue (I am baffled as to why people would queue to get into a bar) and the people in the queue often seem quite unsavoury - loud, obviously drunk, under-dressed, etc.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

I kinda liked the exclusivity of M&H, but its a bit dark subdued in there, more ideal for a naughty discrete drink, otherwise, the Long & the Light Bar (at the St Martins) do it for me, not that I'm a poseur.....much....

London
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

I had already ruled out anywhere that might entice the likes of Celebrity BB etc... so Mahiki, Boujis etc firmly not on the list (but thanks anyway!)

Yeah M&H can be a bit subdued good point Bojangles. I've not been to the Light Bar but read a few dodgy reviews lately that had put me off...

Keep the ideas coming!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

Unless by "cocktail bar" you mean something different from what I understand, Galvin@Windows is in my list for the nexy trip. I've been to the restaurant, I've seen the bar space and I want to return ASAP!

London
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

Hi, try the Townhouse in Knightbridge Beachamp Place. The best cocktail bar in London if you are really looking for cocktails...

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

There is always the Long Bar or Purple Bar at the Sanderson.

You may need to make reservations for the Purple Bar, check the website.

http://www.sandersonlondon.com/

New York
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

The cocktails at Cocoon Late Lounge has really good cocktails and a good vibe and music on the weekends.

www.cocoon-restaurants.com/latelounge.php

Cheers,

Magic97

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

Long Bar at The Sanderson is my favourite from your list. It's a really smart bar with clientele to match!

As Thalia says the bar of Galvin At Windows (Hilton, Park Lane) would also be a good option. It's on the 28th floor so aswell as the smart decor you've got great views over London.

London
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you had to pick just one cocktail bar.....

Great news- for us anyway. Someone cancelled at the Ritz so my little sister can join us for tea!

So I think I may well stick with the Crazy Bear as it's conveniently heading in the right direction for home afterwards....

Thanks everyone for ideas- definitely going to have a look again at the Purple Bar & Galvins in particular.