We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
160 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

I'm trying to decide between a zone 1-2 and zone 1-3 travelcard. If I have a zone 1-2 card, can I travel to zone 3 or 4 and pay a little extra, or would I have to buy a ticket apart from my travel card for such a trip? If the former, how exactly does it work and how much extra do you have to pay?

Also, I notice that on the Tube Map, some stations that appear to be on the border between zones 2 and 3 are listed as zone 2/3 instead of one or the other (Clapham South for example). What is the policy on travel to those stations with a zone 1-2 card?

Thanks,

RF

London
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

Where are you planning to stay?

"If I have a zone 1-2 card, can I travel to zone 3 or 4 and pay a little extra?" YES but you have to go to the station ticket office before you get on the train and ask for an "Extension ticket". I don't know how much it would cost but it can't be more than the single fare between the stations, and probably a little less. Not worth worrying about compared with big money for an airfare.

Stations that are in zones 2/3 , e.g. Clapham South. If it is listed as in zone 2 and 3, then a zone 1-2 card will be OK. And so would a zone 3-4 card.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

To travel to a station that is completely outside your Travelcard's coverage you have to pay for an extension ticket.

If your Travelcard is a paper ticket, you will need to buy a one-off ticket for the extension journey before you start - just go to the ticket office and ask for "an extension ticket from the boundary of zone 2 to Woolwich Arsenal" (or wherever you are going.

If your Travelcard is on Oyster, it's a bit easier, and cheaper. Make sure you have, say, £10 of "pay as you go" money on your Oyster card, and the Osyter system will automatically calculate the extension fare as you touch out at the exit of the station. All you need to do is check every now and then that you have money left on the Oyster.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

But what if you don't? What if you board within your zone and just ride outside of it - do you pay at the other end? Is it a "problem"?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

You must buy an extension before you travel. You could be fined without one. In the old days you could buy an excess at your destination but this no longer applies.

There are copious signs on the system to warn you to do this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

> Is it a "problem"? <

Depends. It can be. Stations generally have a window where you can pay any excess fare. BUT, you can risk prosecution or a £50 if you don;t have a ticket valid for the whole of your journey.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

Would it be the same for buses? If you're tired and just hop on one to "wherever" to see where you end up?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

Buses only have one zone - it's the same fare no matter where you go. So as long as you have a bus ticket (or Travelcard or tapped your Oystercard) you can travel as far as the bus goes.*

*There are some rare exceptions, on some specific buses, but they're not ones you're likely to ever be on.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

> What if you board within your zone and just ride outside of it - do you pay at the other end? Is it a "problem"? <

It's not a problem if you are happy to pay the £50 fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much do you pay for going outside your travelcard zone?

The good news is the £50 fine is reduced to £25 if you pay within 21 days. :-)