We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

We are in London for only a day stopover. For ongoing travel i need cash pounds sterling. I am buying with cdn dollars. Daily limits on atms are too low. I can't easily get gbp where i live. We are starting our walking tour at the hyde park area then on to Buckingham palace area then down the mall.We'll be walking all day. I need a good currency exchange location preferably early in our day on a saturday.

My plan is to get enough gbp at heathrow to buy tube tickets. Then exchange at a better rate somewhere in town, returning to Heathrow late in the day.

In short what is open on an august Saturday where i can get decent rates at the location mentioned?

west coast
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

how much money do you plan on getting?

there is an american express exchange office in Heathrow airport,and one here;156a Southampton Row

London, WC1B 5AR, United Kingdom

020 78374416

USA
Level Contributor
7,008 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

Thomas Exchange Global has attractive rates and is open weekends. www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/contacts.html . They list there buy and sell rates here: www.thomasexchangeglobal.co.uk/exchange1.php

Most tourists get better exchange rates using their ATM cards for cash and their credit cards for purchases. Can you not increase your ATM withdrawal limit?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
149 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

My max atm amount is much less than i need. Without going into details i can't get GBP where i live and i am travelling to a country without atms. As i understand it, any Heathrow exchange including American express would have poor rates.

Your information saying that exchange places are open on Saturday is helpful. I should be able to find it.

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,541 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

What country is that that accepts GBP and not Canadian Dollars as Forex?

you do realise that you'll end up paying 2 sets of currency exchange fees - from CDN to GBP & GBP to Groats

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

You might be better off taking US Dollars, does this mysterious country take those? I'd have thought any place that doesn't have ATMs (even Antartica has ATMs !!) would prefer US dollars to Pounds? You should be able to get a good rate on them in Canada I'd have thought?

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

Other options include those banks that are open, Post Offices, branches of Marks & Spencer and some department stores.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

If it is more than 48 hours in advance I recommend oredering online at Travelex. In the UK we have a money expert website where you can compare the cheapest rates.... travelex comes out at the top of any high street exchange rates, as long as you order online before picking up.

There is a branch of Travelex in Selfridges department store on Oxford street, 10 minutes walk from Marble Arch at the North East corner of Hyde Park. The pick up address is here:

https:/…deliveryoptions.aspx

You order online here:

http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/

You'll need your passport to identify yourself when picking up pre-ordered currency.

8. Re: best hyde park currency exchange on a Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 07:18