We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

maybe slightly controversial.

but reading a previous thread on the negativity of TA caused me to think about how i used TA.

when I read a review or comment the first thing i do is look at where the review comment comes from.

The cultural expectations of what constitutes good /bad service do vary considerably (things like tipping protocol come to mind).

I suppose it is understandable as this is a US based web site that it should reflect us cultural norms in the broadest sense.There is a fair degree of overlap between the us and uk but it is not 100%

From my own point of view i tend to value opinions from the uk more than others.Though there is a tendency to be a bit starry eyed when it comes to trips to the us for many brits ie to over praise everything.

I have seen hotels marked down for interesting things like who owns the shares and given bad comments for things that I wouldnt consider bad at all.

Looking at other forums they seem to be almost entirely used by Anglos and pepole who wish to practise their english.

On the negativity, i suppose those who use the forum have something to say and it is human nature that those with complaints are more motivated to write.

London UK
Level Contributor
485 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

Interesting point about expectations. Since I'm British and the wife is from the US, I get a very good insight into how what one might expect in terms of customer service in the US compares to what you get in the UK (as well as all the other cultural differences, whether they be work or home related).

This insight is deepened every time the missus goes ballistic over some perceived poor service in a shop or restaurant ;o)

Do I want to be American? "Hell, no..." as they say in my wife's home state, I'm very happy being from God's chosen country (Scotland since you ask).

But, do I love London, my adopted home since I was six years old? You bet. And do I want to help visitors get the most out of it? Absolutely. That was something I always tried to do before the Internet was invented, and the fact that TA exists gives me more scope to do it.

Just my two cents, sorry, um, pence.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

Am I american....no, do I want to be american....no, in fact am I even british......no.

London, England
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I actually like the US/Canadian reviews on hotel's, especially when it come to caribbean report's....mainly you find those on their first all inclusive trip and first Caribbean trip from the Uk are always blown away by it all and automatically give great reviews, however though's on there second trip from Uk are more aware of how things should be etc. The American/Canadian's go alot to Caribbean, some guy the otherday on The Cayman's board said he had been 22 times, so I tend to take on board their review's over though's from the Uk.

Again you do have to read between the lines and judge which or over picky etc. Some from Us/Canada do expect better...but they also readily admit that they get great deals and you get what you pay for. So really it should be us complaining more cos from Uk we have to pay thousands more for the same package that the US hodidaymaker paid for.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I look at where someone's from when I read their review (if it is something that matters to me). Americans complaining about no washcloths and tiny rooms and too-deep bathtubs in London get ignored by me.

(for the record, I'm an American married to a European and living in Europe)

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I'm an American & know what Americans are accustomed to re hotel rooms. For instance, earlier this year I spent 2 nights at 2 different hotels in Washington, DC. It was Spring, which means top prices. One night I spent at WashingtonSuites. If I could have rearranged the bedroom furniture & moved a couple things in the living room this place was larger than apartments I've had (it had a smallish, but full kitchen.)

The second night was at a Radisson Hotel. The room was huge! It had 2 double or queen size beds, a settee that opened into a twin bed, a coffee table, another table, a desk, and more. And there was so much space between everything. This one room could have been divided into 4 "large" rooms in London.

As I said this was CherryBlossom prices & still, I paid less than $200p/nite incl. parking (I think the rooms were about $165.) This is what Americans get for their dollar here. It must be a major shock when they make their first trip to Europe!

SE London, UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I have to co-sign LondonGirl... I mean you have to take the comments of others with a pinch of salt if they are marking places down for who owns them if that isn't something that concerns you, it MAY concern someone, but at the end of the day the decision is ultimately down to the reader. People have to read and decided whether the opinion (which IS after all, all they are reading) counts for something.

I don't think there is anyone on here professing wanting to be from another country... I mean the amount of Americans on here it's a wonder peole haven't conclusion jumped they want to be British. You can have an affinity for somewhere without it being THAT dramatic surely?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I see things from both the US and UK/London perspective since I am an American married to a Birtish man who lives in London and I spend half the year at present in both places. Guess I am now looking at the UK/London side more as a resident rather than a tourist these days.

Florida
Level Contributor
96 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I was raised in Ireland by my granny but my dad was an American from TEXAS (of all places) so I got my visiting in during summers. Also, I live in America now.

There are lovely things about Ireland, Great Britain and the US. I feel very lucky as I take the best of all and incorporate it into my life. I could never live without my tea times and I have a gentler outlook on things than my cousins here but I sure am spoiled by my jacuzzi in my house in America !!! LOL!

I have to smile sometimes when I read the complaints from Americans (And I AM an American) when they speak of the tiny hotel rooms in England and the small tubs. They are just used to the huge, roomy chain places in America. They are used to an abundance of everything. Food, space, etc.

We must be good tourists no matter where we go and see the world as a place of billions of people who are all equally important. Things can be DIFFERENT in each place but not better or worse. If you travel with an open mind then you have a much better time. Travel changes you and makes you grow and teaches you new ways to look at life. If you judge and measure everything up against your own culture then you miss so very much.

I've learned so much from people of other places and cultures. I consider myself to be a citizen of the world now and not just "Irish" or "American". The world is a fascinating place.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

Jeffreysbaby: I'm with you. I also consider myself a citizen of the world.

I remember using that term some years back when the Winter Olympics women's ice skating competition was being held. My friend wanted Nancy Kerrigan to win, and I wanted Oksana Baiul (sp?) to win. Even though Nancy Kerrigan was American, and most Americans root for the home team, I just didn't like her, and felt the best skater should win, not just the American. My friend was not too pleased with me when Oksana won.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: is TA really for americans and people who want to be...

I was reading viper's post & it occurred to me that I don't identify myself as "an American." I'm not sure I know what an American is. This is such a large country, surely we aren't all the same? I find myself reading FoxFire's delightful posts where she mentions things like ponchos being very popular. Perhaps in Washington State, here in NYC they were big w/10 yr old girls for about 5 minutes 2 years ago. They never caught on in the least. We're both Americans, but even if we were identical in every way, we'd be forced to see things differently. The country is too large to allow the generic heading "American," other than when used as nationality.

So sure, I'm an American. But more accurately, I'm an east coast Italian American, and even that doesn't cover it.