We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Save Topic
Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

Hi all, need some help getting from Gatwick to Paris July 18th!

1. Some have suggested flights but there are no direct flights from Gatwick to Paris. Transferring to Heathrow or Luton and then flying seems more expensive and just as troublesome as Eurostar if not more plus flight schedules for inexpensive flights are awkward times.

2. Gatwick to St. Pancras Eurostar. I see there are 3 train options, 2 to Victoria stn and the FCC to “St Pancras”. While most people suggest the FCC is the way to go, it doesn’t go to St Pancras on Saturdays, it stops at London Bridge. This doesn’t seem the way to go since you then have to take two tubes to get to St. Pancras.

3. So, it’s either Southern or GE to Victoria. Most people say GE is a tourist trap as it is 6 pounds more than Southern but I like that it’s made to take luggage although we are only carrying one each and its 10-15 min faster. If the two run on the same lines, are the departures timed so that the GE eventually “catches up” with the preceding Southern train?

4. Victoria to St. Pancras – Quite a bit of discussion on whether the tube, bus or taxi is the way to go. Stairs seem a problem with a suitcase although a few stairs are OK. Taxi seems expensive, I see Taximeter.com says its 15 pounds but waiting is almost 1 pound/min. That could get very pricey.

5. Booking Eurostar to Paris. Since I don’t know when I am arriving at St. Pancras and would want to take the next train (and not pay for a flex ticket), are these trains busy enough that I need to reserve in advance or can I just walk up. I know I could book a train about 4 hours after landing to be safe. I like the 35 pound fare, is this for walk ups as well as reserving in advance? If I look up Eurostar and the fares don't say 35 pounds does that mean this fare isn't available on that train.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

There's a current discussion for the very journey on the very day you want.

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

Personally I would go for the Eurostar. The easiest way IMO would be train to Victoria and tube (Victoria line) to Kins Cross-St Pancras. There are a couple of stairs to negotiate on entering the tube at Victoria which are a bit of a pain but if your luggage isn't too heavy shouldn't be that much trouble.

<are these trains busy enough that I need to reserve in advance or can I just walk up.>

To avoid paying huge fares you need to buy in advance.

<I like the 35 pound fare, is this for walk ups as well as reserving in advance? If I look up Eurostar and the fares don't say 35 pounds does that mean this fare isn't available on that train.> I've only been a few times on the Eurostar but this sounds very cheap to me. I would think it will only be available on advance bookings and on certain trains and for a limited number of tickets and thus, if they don't come up when you try to book, they probably aren't available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

Here - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k292…

[Oh, for an edit button!]

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

sorry I've only just seen the other post - refer to that for more info as jdbri said

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

So it's plane to Gatwick, train to Victoria, underground train to St Pancras, Eurostar to Paris.

What tickets for 35 pounds?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,695 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

As a general observation - if you want to be in Paris don't fly to Gatwick.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

The current cheapest single (one way) fares for Eurostar travel on Saturday 18 July are about £100; they'll likely be higher if you buy on the day. There are a few fares at £35 available for travel on 19 July.

On Sundays, there's not much difference between the GEX and Southern services except that the GEX may be a bit quicker. There is room for baggage on Southern trains. There are stairs down from the rail concourse to the Underground station at Victoria plus stairs down from the ticket hall to the Victoria line platform, then stairs again at King's Cross for St Pancras.

If you take a First Capital Connect train to London Bridge, the number 17 bus will take you to King's Cross for St Pancras and involves no stairs at all. The number 73 bus from Victoria calls at St Pancras station but could be a bit pokey as it travels the length of Oxford Street on its journey.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

You can get a coach ticket (i.e. going by road) for about £40. It takes over 9 hours, but presumably goes by channel ferry, which is a huge boat, where you can stretch your legs and relax.

www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm…

I'd really hate doing that after a long transatlantic flight, but it is a cheap way to go.

These leave from Victoria Coach Station, not too far from Victoria Railway Station.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

Hi There

Check out www.flybe.com

They fly from Gatwick to Paris, but not on the 18th, they fly the day before and the day after... just another option...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,097 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Paris - more complicated than I thought!

<<< They fly from Gatwick to Paris, >>>

They fly to Jersey, then you fly to Paris