We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddington area hotel choice

Phoenix
Level Contributor
434 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paddington area hotel choice

First time to London will arrive 9/15 staying 4 nights.... after much research I have narrowed my choices based on budget to the Quality Crown Paddington or The Grand Trafalgar...I am interested in a clean comfortable hotel close to attractions and a few good pubs..checking on the 2 mentioned website seems The Grand is almost double is it worth it..or better opinions on my choices ... thank you in advance

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

I've stayed at Quality Crown Paddington because it's good for my budget. I like it. It's clean and comfortable, but standard rooms are very small.

If it was my first trip and I was only staying for 4 nights, I'd go for the location near Trafalgar Square, in the center of things, and with the hotel I felt had what I was looking for. I think the area has a lot more to offer than Paddington.

Another place in the vicinity you might look at which may be more affordable is Citadines Trafalgar Square. It's near the Grand Hotel. I've stayed there and liked it although didn't like the sofa bed very well (studio apt). Another would be Charing Cross Hotel. I haven't stayed there, but I've stayed at a couple of other hotels in that group and liked them.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

We stayed at the Crown Quality Paddington in May, and it was really fabulous. We had a standard King room, and it was fairly spacious for London. Most importantly it was really clean. Very nicely updated, the staff was really helpful, and it was super close to the tube. The area also has quite a few places to eat. We were also able to use the free wifi from the Mcdonalds next door, which we were actually able to use it in our own room. We will definitely stay there next time we go!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,293 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

Nothing wrong with the Quality Crown but The Grand is in a more central location and is a much better hotel but double the price? Probably.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

The Quality Crowne is ideal if you happen to be coming in on the Heathrow Express train. The hotel practically sits on top of the station. Paddington provides most of the conveniences you'll need as a visitor, especially with many places open late - such as Sainsbury and Marks and Spencer food outlets - very handy for grabbing water/snacks on your way back to the hotel, even a late ready-made meal in case you had to skip dinner in order to make a 7:00 walking tour.

If you decide to go the Trafalgar Square route, check out discounted rates on weekendhotels.com. That location is not yet listed, but don't hestitate to call the 1-800 number.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

Hiya!

The Paddington area (Norfolk Square in particular) is my favourite. QC has two negatives, IMO:

Rooms are small.

Breaky is served in Garfunkel's (an American-type restaurant).

Other than that, it is great!

In this area, I like the Chrysos very much. It is a basic 3-star hotel but it's recently renovated, very clean and the top floor rooms that overlook the park are very nice!

http://www.chrysoshotel.com/

6. Re: Paddington area hotel choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 06:17