We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The London that Inspired Harry Potter

New York
3 posts
Save Topic
The London that Inspired Harry Potter

Has anyone done this walking tour? I hear such great things about London Walks, but mixed things about this walk.

Also, does anyone know what you actually see on the tour?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

'scuse me if I'm being a bit thick, because I'm not at all into Harry Potter, but I would have thought it would have been inspired by Edinburgh, where it was written? (Although I have heard of Platform 9 3/4.)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

No, there are lots of bits set in London.

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

As far as I can recall, none of the scenes in the book are set in Edinburgh, but quite a few in England. The Order of the Phoenix headquarters, the Ministry of Magic, Diagon Ally, the train station, etc.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

historic-uk.com/DestinationsUK/HarryPotter.h…

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

I have not done the London Walks tour, but my understanding is that it does not actually visit many (if any) Harry Potter sites. I think it is more about mystical London than about Harry Potter. By the way, the Ministry of Magic and Grimmauld Place were filmed on movie sets, although you can see where the telephone box was that they used to enter the ministry. If you want a Harry Potter tour, Capital Taxi Tours does one but it's much more expensive than London Walks. They have a website with prices.

London
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

Why not just take a boat along the river, and prentend to be one of the dementors from the opening of the Half Blood Prince? (that's not meant to sound sarcastic- something about the word 'dementors' always sounds rude!)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,222 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

<<< No, there are lots of bits SET in London.>>>

BUT what bits were INSPIRED by London?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

Well, presumably JK Rowling felt inspired by those places and therefore set parts of her book in these places.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

I haven't been on any walk in London, and have heard better things of the Harry Potter guided walk in Oxford, which goes inside some of the university colleges which were in the films.

The London HP walks seem to consist of mainly looking at the outsides of buildings and saying they appear in such-and-such film. But, as I have said, I haven't been on any so that might be unfair.

And when you think of it, there aren't that many links to London in the books apart from the ministry of magic. Harry and the Dursleys don't live in London for instance.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The London that Inspired Harry Potter

There's actually quite a few times some of the characters are in London - Tottenham Court Road in the final book being just one.