We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Can you name a very authentic English restaurant for dinner, which doesnt charge more than 40GBP/per person. No wine needed!

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

RULES - Covent Garden. It is near the top of your budget but there is nowhere at all more English

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

stempler, thanks for the suggestions, the menu looks heavenly!! What do you recommend from the menu:

http://www.rules.co.uk/rest/mfmenu.html

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,897 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Such places do exist. Have a look at St John or St John Bread & Wine (www.stjohnrestaurant.com or www.stjohnbreadandwine.com), Top Floor at Smiths (www.smithsofsmithfield.co.uk), Rules (www.rules.co.uk) - the oldest resto in London, Fortnum & Mason, the Lindsay House (www.lindsayhouse.co.uk) - Richard Corrigan is Irish, but his food looks dreamy, with lots of local ingredients.

There's the Savoy Grill, Simpson's-in-the-Strand, the Popeseye Steak House (no credit cards, and a popeseye is a cut of steak, not a slanderous term) and Butler's Wharf Chop House, a Conran resto.

At the other end of the scale are any of the pie and mash shops, where double pie and double mash plus a mug of tea will cost about £5, and be so authentic they'll squeak.

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

The lamb is excellent. So are the steaks. However, after every time I go and have fairly straightforward dishes such as above, I always regret not trying something a little more exciting like Pheasant Grouse or Partridge

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

I too was going to say Rules in Covent Garden. I have to say though, my friends who have had the gamier things, like venison, said that they weren't that great. I've only ever had meat or fish there: both were delicious.

Fortnum & Mason, and Simpsons in the Strand, are two other choices mentioned above that are very traditional, and are good bets for you.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

I like the Albert Pub at 52 Victoria St.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

very much at the top of your budget but i have always loved the simpsons breakfast here is a review.

The most famous breakfast destination in London, where the weight of history hangs as heavily in the wood-panelled, 19th century dining room as the gut-busting Ten Deadly Sins sits in the stomach. This notorious platter includes all the usual suspects - eggs, bacon, sausage, beans - plus kidneys and bubble and squeak

Florida
Level Contributor
395 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Would it be fair to say that Rules isn't the best choice for small kids? I know that Emma has a three year old. I ask this because my sister and BIL dined at Rules and enjoyed it, but they wouldn't recommend it for children.

I am enjoying reading this thread because I want to learn about this type of restaurant also.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Hmmm, I'd say that Rules probably isn't the best choice for dining with a 3-year old. It's got a gentleman's club feel to it, and is probably best left to the adults. I'd consider Fortnum's Fountain at Fortnum & Mason (authentic, but less formal than their 4th floor St James's Restaurant). It's traditional, yet child-friendly (I think there's even a child's menu).

Enfield
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Name a very authentic English restaurant!

Fred's cafe Southall - about the only non asian restaurant in town - an authentic English grease and spoon cafe where you'll find it hard to spend more than 7 GBP per person and wine is not available.

A true English culinary experiece !