We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

I have been lurking these boards for some time now, and you all seem to have quite a bit of knowledge of London, so I figured I would post my itenerary and get some input from you all.

We are spending 12 days in London with a 2 day trip to Paris. Some of this is set in stone, because we've bought tickets, like the shows and the train to Paris.

I've also located pubs nearby all the morning attractions so we can eat lunch and have a pint there.

14th: Recover from over night flight, and take in the area around our Hotel, the NH Kensington.

15th: Tower of London and Tower Bridge, then The Lion King.

16th: St Paul's Cathedral then Hunterian Museum, then browse around Covent Garden, and then finish with the Blood and Tears Walk at 945pm.

17th: Westminster Abbey then Tate Modern, and then Wicked at night.

18th: Natural History Museum then Victoria & Albert Museum.

19th: National Gallery then Coldplay Concert at Wembley.

20th: Day at Windsor Castle and surroundings.

21st: Buckingham Palace then the Jack the Ripper Walk at night.

22nd: Chunnel to Paris, then Notre Dame, then Eiffel Tower at night.

23rd: Spend the majority of the day at the Louvre, then leave for London around 9pm.

24th: Relax a little, probably sleep in a bit, then explore Picadilly Circus, and Les Miserables at night.

25th: British Museum then Chicago.

26th: Stroll through Regent's Park to the London Zoo

27th: Explore Oxford St and then finish with a night flight on the London Eye to say goodbye to London.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

It looks like a very well-planned itinerary.

Tower of London - you still have time to apply for the Ceremony of the Keys, closing down the Tower (free) if that interests you. Put Ceremony of the Keys into the search box for all the information.

The Hunterian Museum is an unusual choice. If you have a medical background, then also consider the Wellcome collection. If it's because you will be near the Hunterian, then also consider exploring Old Square nearby, or visiting the Soane Museum instead.

Friday 18th: several museums and galleries will be open late. Have a look at www.lates.org Personally I'd consider the late night event at the National Gallery.

Saturday 19th/Sunday 20th is "London Open House weekend" www.londonopenhouse.org

Thursday 24th: "explore Piccadilly Circus". That will take a maximum of 3 minutes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

While exploring Oxford Street you might like to call in at The Wallace Collection in Manchester Square then on to Marylebone High Street which is much nicer than Oxford Street, although this does of course depend on what you are looking for.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Definitely looks do-able. There are even a few days where you can add in some things if you wanted.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Sat 19th: Coldplay at Wembley - be aware that there is no Jubilee line that weekend, which will limit your possible routes to Wembley.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Actually it looks as if Coldplay have fans at TFL as the Jubilee line will be running after 3.30pm on the 19th and The Metropolitan line will be running as normal (except between Watford and Northwood which means Mrs H will be getting Hornets Taxis to get to work!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Apologies - I saw Stratford to Stanmore, and assumed it was all day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Looks like a lovely trip! I'd second the recommendation that you look into the London Open House weekend on the 19th and 20th. I happened to be in London last year on that weekend, and it was fantastic. Many many buildings are open, all for free. Some of the buildings aren't generally open to the public, and others are open but for a charge. I managed to see, with planning and quite comfortably, at least 6 different places on the Sunday. You might consider flipping your plans to go to Windsor on the 20th: stay in London on the 20th and then do Windsor on the 21st.

Anaheim CA
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

Just a note about the Eurostar (NOT the chunnel)We had tickets for a Eurostar that left Paris around 11:00am. As we only had 3 days in Paris before we returned to London, we took a taxi to visit the Eiffel Tower on the morning we left. We stayed at the Eiffel Tower too long, and missed our scheduled trip back. Had to do a bit of explaining to the Eurostar staff as to why we missed our train. At one point, I was afraid I was going to have to buy new tickets to get us back to London. Everything turned out OK and we were allowed to take the next train. I have always been used to the flexibility of train travel within the UK--if you miss the first train, hop on the next one. Not so with the Eurostar, so be sure you are there for your scheduled departure.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

I would be interested in knowing your pub choices. Could you share these as well?

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itenerary Critique Request Sept 14-27

crazy4trvl, basically I went to fancyapint.com and just looked for pubs that were rated 3 pints or higher that seemed close enough to the places I was going to be at that day.

But some of them are Chessire Cheese, Hoop and Toy, Museum Tavern, Red Lion, Paternoster, The Albert, Earl's Ct Tavern, and Queen's Arms to name a few.

I appreciate the advice from everyone else, I can assure you I will be taking much of it to heart.

I did try to leave some spaces open, so we could make up for places we miss, or add places we wanted to see but weren't sure we would have the time. Such as the Wallace Collection.