We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best location in London for an old lady

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
best location in London for an old lady

I will be in London with my daughter from August 13 to August 16. I am 75 years old, in good form but I don't walk as fast as I used to.

I have very definite questions for the community:

1) We want a middle price hotel (3 stars maybe), close to a tube so I don't have to walk too much. Can you suggest a district or a hotel ?

2) Attractions: We want to see as many attractions as can be. What are the ones we must see?

3) Is the Big Bus Tour a good choice for a start in visiting London? The Blue Tour or the Red Tour?

Your comments are welcome to help us have a wonderful stay in London. Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best location in London for an old lady

The very great majority of Underground stations in central London are not step-free: there will be some stairs involved either in walking from the ticket hall to or from the train platform or from the ticket hall to or from street level.

Are stairs an issue or is it distance walked? If stairs are problematic, please do consider London's red buses. Very nearly all are low floor, with plenty of coverage in the city. Buses can be slowed by traffic, though, so if you choose to use them keep in mind that you may need extra time to travel through the city, esp at peak hours.

Are you flying from YUL to Heathrow or to Gatwick? Are you travelling from London by rail on the 16th, or will you fly to your next destination? With respect to hotels, have you a budget in mind?

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best location in London for an old lady

August 13th isn't very far away now, so perhaps you can get some good deals on Priceline? I've never tried it myself, just a suggestion. Otherwise, perhaps www.laterooms.co.uk

Most hotels within the circle line (the yellow line on the underground map) will be near a tube station.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best location in London for an old lady

The sights you must see are the ones YOU want to, not posters here. Yesterday, someones must sees included half a shopping trolley (thats a 'cart' to you). Some would say you 'must see' a particular museum or cathedral, others would be bored rigid by these and want to take a ride on the London Eye which others think would be much too scary.

I suggest you get a copy of this book 'top ten london' which will let YOU decide what are YOUR 'must sees' ... amazon.com/Top-London-Eyewitness-Travel-Guid…

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best location in London for an old lady

Here is website with accessible tube stations

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/step-free-tube-g…

With Big bus the red tour has live guides and blue tour has recorded commentry and is extensive tour.

Make sure you do the river cruise to Greenwich if you take a hoho pass

Here is a recent thread on Hoho bus

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k298…

Here is thread about some ideas on London

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k288…

chocolate-mango
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best location in London for an old lady

Hotel: I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn at Mayfair. Opposite the Ritz and Green Park with Buckingham Palace a leisurely stroll away (10 minutes) across Green Park. Directly opposite Green Park Tube Station. Excellent location to a good range of restaurants and cafes within walking distance. Admittedly sightly more money than some others but this is more than made up by its absolutely, fantastic location. Rooms are affected by a little traffic noise, but I should think the majority of central hotels in London are.

I visit London every year, at least once a year. We were there just a couple of weeks ago and went to the Royal Academy of Arts and visited the J W Waterhouse exhibition - fantastic. Also within walking distance of the hotel - just 5 minutes or so.

We are visiting again in a couple of weeks and plan to take the children on a bus tour - not sure which one yet. An excellent way to get around and see the sites without completely tiring oneself out.

Probably too late to book, but can highly recommend Tea at the Ritz - a stones throw across the road.

I could go on - and on! The bottom line is there is so much to do - too much. It is very tiring so do not plan too much. I would recommend a show - a bus tour - an art gallery - some nice meals out and relaxing in a nice cafe watching the world go buy. If you fancy a little luxury shopping Old and New Bond Street is just down the road approx. 5 min walk. Nice just to walk up and look at the old buildings and window shopping.

Best wishes for your trip. Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Enjoy.

Chocolate-mango

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best location in London for an old lady

Hello and thank you for responding so quickly.

The stairs are not my main problem but walking long distances is; I tire easily. But I was in Paris for a week last year, I walked and walked and survived.

Today I found a good deal (94 pounds per day with breakfast) at the Hilton Paddington 4-star Hotel. Is this a good choice?

We will arrive from Canada to Heathrow on the 13th at 7:30 A.M. and take the Heathrow Express to Paddington. We are departing London-Paddington on the 16th to go by train to Cardiff as my daughter will be working there for 4 days and then come back on the 20th to Paddington and the Heathrow Express for our flight back to Montreal on the 21st. Any advice on that part of the trip?

Thank you for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best location in London for an old lady

The Hilton Paddington is a decent enough hotel, certainly near as one can get to Paddington station. If you'd like to save a few pounds, consider Heathrow Connect rather than the HEX; Connect is a stopping train so the journey will take a bit longer but the fare is half that of the HEX.

There are a great many buses along Praed Street as a decent alternate to the Underground, and Hyde Park isn't too far away for a bit of green in the city.

Book your rail tickets to and from Cardiff at www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com - you may find, especially depending on the time of day you wish to travel - that two single tickets may be cheaper than a return. You may register and pay for the tickets online, then collect them at the FastTicket machines at Paddington.

As well, you may buy one day Travelcards at Paddington so that you and your daughter may use the offers shown at www.daysoutguide.co.uk Although all Travelcards allow for National Rail use in the paid for zones, only Travelcards bought as paper tickets from a rail station booking office can be used with the offers.

Should you wish to stay at the Hilton Paddington you'll be very well placed to pop in, buy Travelcards, then carry on with your sightseeing.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best location in London for an old lady

Just to add that I think that is a great deal for the Hilton Paddington. You literally walk off the train, through the station concourse and into the lobby.

Although the immediate area itself isn't particularly exciting, two useful tube lines and several bus routes will get you around the city.

chocolate-mango
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best location in London for an old lady

I see you are getting lots of advice. Surely it is more important for you to be close/walking distance to the sites and attractions rather than the train station. A taxi from any train station to a hotel would not cost much money. Once settled in your hotel it is the more important for you to be close to the attractions and restaurants, etc, the the train station. The Holiday Inn Mayfair is incredibly central and in comfortable walking distance to many attractions - best to look at a map and choose your attractions and then choose hotel location from there.Good Luck and let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best location in London for an old lady

You can also save a lot of walking by using the London buses. The tube is a great way to get around, too, but there can be a lot of walking involved when you have to change tube lines. And as previously mentioned, there can be a lot of stairs involved.

With the buses, you will get to see more of London and you will generally get closer to your destination than you would with the tube. Of course, it can sometimes take longer because of traffic, so make sure to allow enough time if you have to be somewhere at a specific time.

The bus routes can be a little intimidating for those of us not used to public transportation, but they've come up with a simplified bus map that is similar to the tube map: tfl.gov.uk/assets/…central_bus_map.pdf

It's really a nice way to get around if you aren't in a big hurry.