We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need good stop between York and London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
Need good stop between York and London

We will be travelling by car from York to London. Any recommendations for an interesting 1-2 hour stop along the way?

We will have already visited Oxford, the Cotswolds, Stratford-on-Avon and Warwick Castle on our way up to York.

Also, how long should we plan for the drive from York to London without stops?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need good stop between York and London

Lincoln (ancient city with cathedral and castle on a steep hill overlookng the plains) or Stamford (lovely looking Georgian coaching town built largely from beautiful stone, plus the stately home of Burghley House) are two possibilities

Stamford is less of a detour (it's right next to the main A1 which is the road you'll probably use) and conveniently halfway

Remember for much of the journey you'll be travelling through history as the A1 - the "Great North Road" follows for much of its route Roman roads such as Ermine Street

UK
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need good stop between York and London

I would allow about 4 hrs for the journey without any stops and of course unexpected delays.

Burghley House would make an interesting visit to break the journey. It has been used many times by film makers.

http://www.burghley.co.uk/index.html

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need good stop between York and London

Personally I'd give up the car when you get to York & get the train to London as York is extremely car unfriendly.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need good stop between York and London

Another excellent place to stop is the Yorkshire Sculpture Park just off the M1 near Barnsley. Please do look at their website (YSP). It would be a wonderful place to stretch your legs and the cafe is very good indeed, with the most amazing view over world class sculptures by Henry Moore and Barbara Hepworth.They also have special exhibitions on. You don't have to be a Culture Vulture to enjoy it :-)There are different length of walks round the parkland. It's about an hour from York btw.If you think that's too early in your journey to stop, then I too recommend Burghley House in Stamford - coincidentally they have a sculpture park - a really quirky one that is good fun. You can visit it separately from the house which IMO is quite expensive. Stamford itself is lovely.

But please consider the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. It's going through the process of becoming the National Sculpture Park at the moment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need good stop between York and London

I too have a fondness for Stamford. The auction house there is quite plesant, and Burghley House on the outskirts is appealing. Will you have rugrats with you? Burghley House often has event sfor children.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need good stop between York and London

What time of year will this be?

(Have just remember that the auction house is called Batemans)

Manchester
Level Contributor
780 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need good stop between York and London

Though closer to York than London, my choice would be Chatsworth House. It is probably the finest estate to visit in the UK, in a stunning setting with the most impressive water garden in the UK and with a superb house. Its a few miles easy drive from the M1.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need good stop between York and London

Wow!!! I agree with Epidavros at last..Chatworth house is definately worthwhile to visit.

berkshire, england
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need good stop between York and London

If you are travelling via the M1, try Bletchley Park nr. Milton Keynes (old WW2 codes centre, museums & displays).

There is a also a space museum in Leicester.

I would allow 5 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need good stop between York and London

The thing is, though, I really wouldn't travel via the M1 from York. It will take quite a bit longer than using the A1

Worth it if you want to go to Chatsworth, of course