We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidaylettings.uk.co

Phoenix
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Holidaylettings.uk.co

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! I have tried to get resolution to a complaint for weeks and have had no help from Holidaylettings. They only care about the advertiser/owner, not the tenant. Here is my situation: I rented an apartment, #10363, Battersea, London. A few problems, no satellite as promised, no hot water for 2 days, I did not complain. At check out, with my 200 pound deposit at stake, the mgr. told me I needed to clean the apartment for the next guest! The rental agreement said to leave the apartment clean, it was, it did not say to clean the apartment for the next tenant. I missed my flight and had no paper towels etc. to clean with. I was in shock! I have rented apartments all over the world and have never had to clean the apartment myself. I asked the mgr. about the lack of paper towels/cleaning products and she said to use the bath towels we had been using for a week to clean all surfaces. Would you want to stay there? I was nauseated! My complaint with Holidaylettings is this: There is not way for me to leave an honest review for the next guest. Holidaylettings told me all complaints needed to be directed to the advertiser, I did that! Why wouold I be complaining to the agency? The webstite for #10363 only gives good praise, how false is that?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

I may be peculiar, but I would always expect to clean a self-catering rental at the end of my stay.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,611 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

Did you read the Terms and Conditions before booking? They're fairly clear that holidaylettings.co.uk act solely as an agent for the flat owner and person seeking accommodation to book.

I think you should alert the website to the very unfortunate situation with which you had to deal at the end of your holiday as well as the lack of hot water and satellite television. HolidayLettings may be able to review the Owner's advertisement and / or reviews, which would be helpful to those considering renting in future.

I usually do a move out clean for short stay flats, but only once was I asked specifically to do so, as part of the rental agreement. Cleaning products were supplied, which made things much easier.

The flat you rented is one that I would be reluctant to rent, to be honest. The numerous inaccuracies and misspellings in the description would make me think twice; 'Centrally located apartment in the West-end of London overlooking chelsea habor' yet in 'zone 2 / Battersea Park in Battersea. ....the local market in Clapham Junction' - the geography is all wrong, the descriptions are well out of order - it's just messy. 'Sea view' - oh dear.

The review by 'melissa' is rather obviously false, as the writer refers to a flat in Beckton Park - miles away from Battersea.

I think you were actually lucky that you had accommodation at all, to be honest. I can empathise with your frustration at the matter of the deposit and the treatment at the end of your stay, but I do think the best thing you could do would be to write a letter to HolidayLettings outlining your concerns and suggesting that the company review the listing, as it may not be one with which the company would like to be associated.

If you write the company, please let us know the outcome.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

I've rented an apartment in London for our trip this coming September. In addition to the daily rental, I've paid £80 cleaning fee (this applies whether one rents for one night or X number of nights) and I have no objection to that fee. I do make sure everything is kept clean and tidy while I'm renting self-catering accommodation though - both for my own benefit and the benefit of the owner (and out of respect for someone else's property). After we leave London, we've rented properties through Cottages4You (aka Welcome Cottages). Their terms and conditions don't ask for a cleaning fee, but they do ask you to leave the property clean and tidy and say if you leave it *especially* untidy/unclean, you'll be charged a cleaning fee (they have each renter's credit card details). I've never been charged anything extra; I don't change the sheets (as there's never been extras) but I do leave the beds made (knowing they'll be changed for the next renter/s), dishes washed and put away, kitchen cleaned, floors swept, used bath towels left in the bath, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,850 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

of course, as there's usually a washing machine wherever we've stayed, the towels etc have been washed during the week, but there always seems to be a serious lack of outdoor clothes lines, so I don't wash the sheets because there's nowhere to hang them out to dry :-( I hate drying sheets (and towels) in the dryer - I love the smell of the sun on them :-)

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

>> The review by 'melissa' is rather obviously false, as the writer refers to a flat in Beckton Park - miles away from Battersea <<

If you look at the bottom, the owner also has an appartment in Beckton Park. Just a simple posting slip from the owner. It does show that the owner vets and posts the reviews.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

Holidaylettings make it clear on their website that your contract is with the property's owner. They even say that if you're unhappy with your experience

"As an advertising website that does not take part in the booking process Holiday Lettings cannot get involved in matters that occurred during your stay. We ask advertisers and holidaymakers to correspond directly with each other in order to come to a resolution."

But I think that's nonsense that you were asked to clean the apartment to the standard that the next guest would expect. Surely there was a cleaner coming in after you left? Could there have been a misunderstanding?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

<<<But I think that's nonsense that you were asked to clean the apartment to the standard that the next guest would expect. Surely there was a cleaner coming in after you left?>>>

Absolutley! We always leave our holiday rentals neat and tidy - we make sure trash is emptied, dishes washed, etc... But we don't change bed linens, wash towels or clean it to the extent that it would be ready for the next guest. Yikes!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

I wouldn't expect to launder the linen, although I would expect to strip the bed and pile everything up ready.

I would expect to wash the floors and wipe surfaces and bathroom fittings.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

I rented once through holidays lettings and it was fine - like vrbo though, it's a clearing house only and you can have a wide range of experiences with different owners...

We've rented many flats, apts etc in Europe and the US and never had to clean for the next tenant. Was that in the contract? We did once (in Utah actually) have to put the sheets and towels in the washing machine and I thought that was too much hassle frankly. I feel like (although maybe this is just what we do) places often want you to empty the trash and put any dirty dishes in the dishwasher.

Like others here, we always leave wherever clean and tidy, swept and picked up.

I do think it's important to look at the ad and see if there are any red flags (as there may have been here), to carefully watch all communication with the owner and to read the contract very carefully before you book (similarly for red flags), and to read or ask for email contact with previous tenants.

Ontario,Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holidaylettings.uk.co

We also had a bad experience renting through holiday lettings. Our rental #55956 was very nice. The problem was the door handle of the washing machine came off and we told the owner's helper immediately. The end result was we lost our 200 pound deposit as, after 3 different doors not fitting (leads one to believe the machine was old) a new machine had to be purchased. The owner kept insisting we had forced the door open when we were not even there, coming back at the end of the day to find the door open and our clothing still in it. We feel we were just taking the hit for the cost of the new machine. We were prepared to pay partial costs but didn't think it was fair the way things turned out.

We don't think we will rent again!