We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

I leave in less then 2 weeks for the UK. Will be car touring with 72 yr old mom and 13 yr old. I am planning everything and now to the London portion and what travel cards, transportation, etc. We will have the British Heritage Pass for 30 days. Plan to go to Paris for 2 days after dropping the car off at the Ashford Eurostar terminal. Will come back from Paris directly to London. No dates are really set as I have no idea how our travels will go touring SW Enland, Wales, Scotland and then meeting a friend who lives in Hastings.

We plan to do all the usual sites in London and stay within London as we'd have already done Stonehenge, Bath, Leeds, etc. while driving. So what is the best/cheapest way to see London; get a London pass with transportation, 2for1 but there are 3 of us but daughter and I will be doing some on our own as Mom has been to London before. She may go on her own to things too where she wants to spend more time. The museums are a must and since most are free that is something to consider.

We will be in London for 5-6 days.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

"Leeds" ????

Canada
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

I'll bet that means Leeds Castle..

Not Leeds, Yorkshire!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

You are touring around the UK with your Mom and 13yo in tow,in August. DO you have ANY accommodation booked yet?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

Nothing booked in London yet. Part is not knowing with the transportation end, getting to and fro.

I moved to the TAco.uk forum as I can save posts where you can't at TA.com. It has helped a lot to be able to save posts so I have a place to compare, etc.

Yes I meant Leeds as in castle. What I was trying to get accross is that the day trips would have already been done prior to getting into London, well not Windsor and things right around London. More things/places out of London.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

Hi Bus top tours are a great way to see the sights you would like to revisits and also great as you hop on hop off. I think the original tour company also offer a free thames river cruise. Loads to do for free changing of the guard, horse gaurds, national gallery, british museum, and british libary.

I am not to sure where you would stay as the nearer you stay in the centre there is less parking and more expensive. Walking is a great way to see things, but pace it.

have a good trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

I agree with above post that hoho bus is great way to see London.

Ho HO bus is Hop on Off Tourist bus, which takes you around all the Attractions in London. You also get River cruise Pass including Greenwich with Ho Ho bus and choice of 3 London walk.

All the attractions are pointed out to you with commentry and live guards so the best way to see overview of London.

There are two companies, Big Bus and Original London tours

www.theoriginaltour.com

www.bigbus.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

Travel cards

You can Buy One Day T card on Day of visit to attractions with 2 for 1 vouchers.

Peak One Day T card (Zone 1-2) is £ £7.20

Off Peak One Day T card (Zone 1-2) is £5.60 (Use after 9.30 am or anytime on weekends ) will cover all the tubes Dlr within zone 1-2 and all the buses in greater London

You can buy £1 offpeak child one day travelcard (zone 1-6 ) for 13 year, if they go with adults with Travelcards.

If you buy the Travelcard from Rail station (Victoria London Bridge, Kings cross) with rail logo then you will be entitled for 2 for 1 offers on attractions from Days out guide.

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

Even if you go to Musuems and other places you will need to travel.

The 7 days Travel card zone 1-2 will cost £25.80 and will cover all the tubes Dlr within zone 1-2 and all the buses in greater London. 3 days Travel card each will cost £18.40

You could get Oyster card for you mother if she is not travelling all the days. Oyster Pay as you go Cards does not give 2 for 1 offers but it gives discount and calculates lowest fare for the day, which is capped. ie £5.60 for off peak day travel.

But say you all 3 want to go to Tower of London

then you could get your 7 day travelcard with rail logo from rail station and not the underground.

Get your daughter offpeak day travelcard £1 as you have travelcard.

You could get your mother off peak day travelcard from rail station with rail logo for £5.60.

Then you will get 2 for 1 for mother and you, saving £17.

You pay child rate for 13yr at £9.50.

There are leaflets for 2 for 1 offers at rail stations windows but sometimes they get run out.

Bring printed out voucher for whichever attraction you want to go from Days out guide.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

Most people find that the London Pass is not worthwhile, as you can't visit enough of the sites within the timeframe of the pass - but you'd need to do the math to see if it would work out for you. It would be cheaper to buy your travelcards directly from the tube stations (or from the train station if you plan to use the 2for1 deals.) The GBHP covers a few things in London, but not a lot. You may find the 2for1 deals the best bargain.

You'll probably want to get a hotel in London asap since it is high season. And rooms that accommodate 3 are a little harder to come by. Generally speaking, anything withing the perimeter of the Circle line on the tube map is considered central London. And since the sites and landmarks are scattered all over London, there is not one "best" location. As long as you are near a tube station or bus routes, you'll be able to get around to everything.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

You need to book a hotel or two in London, and sharpish. As well, if you've not booked Eurostar tickets yet, please have a look at www.eurostar.com and do so as well, sooner rather than later.

I don't mean to sound abrupt but it's August and it's London, and hotels will be booked up. The hotel at which I'd like to stay in the city is booked for some of my dates in October, which may give you an idea of how busy it can be.

The Londonpass isn't necessarily good value; see the link below. The travel option with the pass is very poor value indeed unless one stays in zone 5 or zone 6.

tripadvisor.com/…16793630

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please! Need your expert advice/suggestions for London!

I highly recommend London Walks www.walks.com. Every one I have taken has been interesting and informative. We usually do at least one a day and sometimes two.

Cheers