We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brit Rail vs National Rail

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Brit Rail vs National Rail

Can anyone tell me why the rail tickets from the National Rail website is cheaper that from the Brit Rail website?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,131 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

National Rail is our nationwide rail company quoting the actual fares that we in the UK pay.

Brit Rail is a private company selling tickets to those outside the UK. Their prices presumably include their profit margin.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

Their prices do include a rather hefty profit margin, not to mention postage fees that are stratospheric.

If you'd like to check train times and fares, visit www.nationalrail.co.uk To book tickets, try www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

Brit Rail don't have the best of reputations on here. Overcharging, wrong tickets, missing reservations etc.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

I usually book with the train operator if I know who they are or, if not, with the Trainline. I think Trainline may charge a booking fee but they are reliable. if you check the National Rail Enquiries website they have a list of operators. Long distance travel in the Uk is always much cheaper if you can plan in advance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

thetrainline charge for tickets, charge for using a CC and they don't allow you to use a non-UK card for booking.

NXEC as mentioned earlier doesn't charge for tickets (in fact you might get a discount), doesn't charge for using a CC and non-UK based people can book through it.

In short there's no reason to use thetrainline or trainline

Malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

Thanks for all the information provided. So the question is now do I buy a 8 day Brit flexible Railpass or do I book in advance from National Rail. I guess booking in advance is cheap but then I will not have the flexibility. Right?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

>>do I buy a 8 day Brit flexible Railpass or do I book in advance from National Rail. I guess booking in advance is cheap but then I will not have the flexibility. Right?<<

That's exactly right. You have to decide the value of the flexibility. What's the liklihood that you will show up at the train station one morning and deciding that, instead of going to York, for example, you'd rather go to Cardiff?

London
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

before buying a BritRail pass for 8 days, it might be worth understanding exactly what your travel arrangements are. e.g. are you really going to be travelling long distances everyday? if so, then yes, this might be a good idea, but if you are planning on seeing lots of things in and around London for example, then other solutions might be preferable.

Also, might be worth getting a "All Line Rover 7 Day", you should be able to buy it on the day at any station. its not much cheaper than britrail but does offer more flexibility if you aren't sure when exactly you might want to buy it.(nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/…details.html)

Also investigate, depending on your age, whether you can get a discount (being young / student / elderly etc)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

Thanks again for all the valuable tips. I have decided to book in advance using the National Rail website. I find that it is so much cheaper. I just has to sacrifise some flexiblity in my travel itineary.

10. Re: Brit Rail vs National Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 05:18