We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Tours

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grace, Idaho
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
London Tours

My travel agent wants to book all my tours ahead: i.e. Tower of London, etc. Do I really need to do that? We are only going to be in London for a few days and would rather just see what direction we feel like going in. If we show up early for the Tower, can we just get in in pretty good time for a tour there? We will be there Oct 8,9,10th. Thanks for all advice.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Tours

As you suspect you certainly dont need to book ahead, especially in October, well out of tourist season. Whilst there can be a benefit to buying tickets in advance to avoid queues, no need at this time of year and of course you'd lose flexibility, eg if its pouring with rain one day, you have a chance to go another.

If you but the right train passes you can also save money with 2 for 1 deals on the day, so you don't even lose out that way. daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
585 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Tours

We'll be there on those same dates and we most definitely are not booking tours ahead of time. The only exception will be if we decide to go out of the city to Bath one day. In London, I prefer to go with the flow and see what interests me. Enjoy your trip!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Tours

There is really very little you actually need to book in advance in London. I would wait till you're there for Tower of London - and as mentioned, if you get a paper travelcard, you can use the 2for1 deals on a lot of things. The only thing you really need to book in advance are things like theatre tickets if you want to see a specific popular show. If you don't get a discount for booking ahead online, I'd wait till you're there.

One thing you might want to book in advance is Ceremony of the Keys at Tower of London if you're interested. Tickets are free, but you have to write for them in advance.

hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/…

London
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Tours

Would second the Ceremony of the Keys suggestions. You're best doing it now though as it can take upto 2 months to get tickets.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Tours

I think your travel agent is looking out for her commissions rather than your travel needs. For proof, you might check her prices against those offered directly by the attractions. Regular adult admission to the Tower of London is £17. A 2 for 1 discount is available as joeintheuk mentioned.

tulsa
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London Tours

<<A self-addressed envelope together with the requisite British postage stamps, or a minimum of two 'Coupon-response international'. Please note that American or other non-British stamps are not valid in the UK.>>

how much would I know how much to use USD?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Tours

If you can print UK postage from http://www.postoffice.co.uk you'll need at least 90p of postage on the envelope for the return of tickets and confirmation from HRP for Ceremony tickets.

If you're going to print postage, better to estimate on the heavy side rather than the lighter side, although tickets, confirmation and the information sheet HRP sends shouldn't weigh more than 50gm.

If you'd rather send International Reply Coupons, send two.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Tours

Postage printed from the website must be used by the next working, so isn't suitable for SAEs.

9. Re: London Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2010, 06:18