We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

I'll be in London in mid-August for a few days with my teen daughter. She's very interested in Henry VIII and his wives so the Tower and Hampton Court are must-sees. Westminster Abbey is a must for me, and I would like to see St. Paul's Cathedral as well. My daughter wants to shop.

How much time should I allocate for each of these? Most of the day for Hampton Court and half a day for the Tower? I already purchased tickets for the Tower -- good idea to do so for Hampton Court as well?

These is what I'm thinking for our itinerary:

Thursday: arrival, walk around, maybe visit Westminster Abbey, maybe some shopping

Friday: Hampton Court

Sat: visit friend in Bristol

Sun: London Walks Harry Potter tour in afternoon (another of DD's obsessions), not sure about the morning

Mon: Tower of London and other sightseeing -- trying to figure out priorities -- or maybe just more walking around and shopping.

Tuesday: early departure

Does this sound reasonable? We want to see lots of things but not be completely exhausted.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

And again I have to ask, is this your first time in London or have you been before and done most of the obvious stuff?

"Sat: visit friend in Bristol"

If you haven't booked a train ticket yet, you may get a good deal by having a look at the "Midsummer Madness" discount tickets scheme for August Saturdays and Sundays.

It does NOT include Bristol, BUT you could get a £10 round ticket to Salisbury, and then another round trip ticket from Salisbury to Bristol. And if you pre-book it then you wouldn't even have to get off the train.

I don't know if this is cheaper than simply buying a London-Bristol ticket but it's worth considering.

southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/News/_midsumm…

Just remember to take something on the train to keep the DD happy on the 2-hour journey.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

That sounds reasonable enough.

The Tower of London would be about 3 hours and Hampton Court the same but of course you've got the travelling time to get there and back.

If you get to the Tower when it opens on the Monday, you could spend the morning there, have some lunch, then go to St Paul's in the afternoon.

If you feel too tired on the first day to do the Abbey, you could do this on Friday morning before going to Hampton Court. Hampton Court is open until 6 pm so even if you don't get there till one or two in the afternoon you'll still have a few hours to see it all. Or alternatively do the Tower on Sunday before the Harry Potter walk and then do St Paul's and the Abbey on Monday.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

Thank you! My concern about visiting the Tower on Sunday was that it might be extra-crowded on a weekend day. Between Friday, Sunday, and Monday, which do you think would be the best day to go?

I've been to London but not in many years. My daughter has never been so this trip is more about her (though luckily I am also interested in the things she wants to see).

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

If your wife is a big Henry fan I would highly advise taking in the exhibition at the British Library. I went last weekend and as a huge fan of all things Tudor I was enthralled. It is £9 entrance fee & allow about 2 hours to see it but it is brilliant.

http://www.bl.uk/henry

Use the circle line from the Abbey (15mins)or Tower Hill(30mins) to St Pancras and it is a few minutes walk to the library.

I highly recommend this- only on until September- but NOT to be missed.

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

Sorry I typed your wife- I meant your daughter

Manchester
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

Heres another little bit of advice. Don.t bother with the Henry VIII exhibition at the Tower of London. Once you get in you cannot get out and unless you are mega interested in armour! you will be very easily bored. In fact I would miss the Tower- the only other connection to Henry is the site of the scaffold where Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard & Lady Rochford were executed and the tower in which they were held. I wish I had gone to Hampton court instead on my recent visit.

Loved Westminster Abbey though of course it is only Henry's parents and daughters buried there. Do look out for the tomb of Anne of Cleves- it is not mentioned in the audio tour and is just a small plaque but it should interest your daughter.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

I wouldn't say not to bother with the Tower altogether - it's fascinating, even without the Henry VIII references. You HAVE to see the major bling (Crown Jewels) and I found the armory displays interesting, as well. I could spend all day in the shops there alone - I love the medieval-inspired gifts they had.

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

OMG the Tower was one of my favorite places. Steeped in tudor/elizabethan history and of course much further back. Have Daughter do some research to enrich visit. The ravens are creepy and the Crown Jewels much more interesting than I expected.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

Thank you Annahever, that is really helpful. We have little interest in armour so will bypass the Henry VIII exhibit at the Tower and try to get to the British Library instead.

Will look for the Anne of Cleves plaque, thanks!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Tower of London and Hampton Court etc.

The Tower is a necessity, especially since I already purchased the tickets. I had actually tried to add in the Henry VIII exhibit but couldn't get that to work online, and it sounds like that's just as well.