We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

Oakland, Ca
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

Hi,

I am traveling alone ( sans 3 kids) for a wedding and have one night for a show. I was thinking of Billy Elliott vs Blood ..

Any opinions?

Thanks

Annie

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

Billy Elliot by a country mile.

Apparently it's transferred to Broadway exteremely successfully which surprises me coz it's a play full of massive social commentary from the 80's that Americans can't possibly get (nor southerners from England for that matter).

It's different from the movie in that the score is by Elton John rather than some of the brilliant songs which were in the movie. That said, it's pretty damn good.

Watch the movie first though - it's my favourite of all time!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

I second that; Billy Elliot was just amazing!

Anyways, here's a tip if you're looking to get musical tickets... buy them online before you arrive, so that you get the best available seat currently for your price (seats in the price blocks are allocated first come first serve), and you won't be fleeced by the ticket booths in leicester square. They look professional, they talk the talk, but in the end most tourists are overcharged for their theatre tickets!

A good site that I have on bookmark is The London Insider's top 10 guide to getting cheaper musical tickets:

london-insider.co.uk/2009/…

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

Goodness, what a choice to make.

I'll chime in for Blood Brothers because it is unique and you can only see it in London (as far as I know).

Billy Elliot, on the other hand, is on Broadway and will no doubt eventually come to your area on tour.

Blood Brothers provided one of the more memorable evenings I've spent at the theatre...

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

4. Re: What show to see- Billy Elliott vs Blood Brothers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 05:17