We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

jhawktx
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

Is there a website that shows which tube stations have escalators/elevators from the train to the station entrance? at ground level? We are thinking of taking the Picadilly Line from Heathrow to the Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square, and/or Holborn stations and wonder which of those would be more convenient (or, more likely, less incovenient!) with luggage.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

www.tfl.gov.uk

This official site should that information.

What's your final destination? We can perhaps suggest better routes.

jhawktx
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

I actually went to that website. I couldn't seem to find that level of detail on that site. Maybe it's there and I am just unable to find it.

Final destination will be Citadines-Trafalgar Square on the way into London. Not sure yet what the departure hotel will be as we leave London for Heathrow (but it will be near either Picadilly, Leicester or Holborn tube stations).

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,821 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

You could try the Journeyplanner - click on advance options, and you'll have boxes, like "I want step-free journeys"...

Or go to the maps section, and there is an accessibility section.

There's a downloadabel "Step-free Tube guide" pdf file.

Holborn has excalators, but its not near Trafalgar Square.

Charing Cross or Embankment would be the closest stations.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

For the Citidines I would take the Piccadilly line as far as Hammersmith and then change across the platform and take any District line service as far as Embankement. One flight of stairs will bring you to street level. Then turn left, left again under the railway arches and then right into Northumberland Avenue. No more than 4 or 5 minutes even with luggage.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

We take the tube in from Heathrow all the time and there are stairs at our destiation station - so we can't avoid them.

If you'll have stairs to navigate, once you arrive at your station, have everyone in your party exit the carriage and step aside with your luggage out of the main flow of traffic. Wait a minute to let the rush of travelers get ahead of you. Then you can take your time getting you and your luggage up any stairs. It's much less stressful than fighting the crowds.

And once you get to the exit barriers, there are manned handicap/luggage gates to the left or right of the turnstiles. Use that instead of trying to get your luggage through the turnstiles.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

Talking about stairs - i tried the tube once and said "never again" but never again has come and i arrive on Thursday and was looking at the tube. I need to go to Golders Green- there are stairs i know but i need to connect via Leicester square. Does anyone know if there is a lift at leicester square because i need to change to the northern line. Alternatively if there are only stairs please tell me what part of the tube i should sit in in order to avoid trekking my case from one end of the train to the stairs. Many thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

No lift at Leicester Square, I fear. It wouldn't be my first choice as a station at which to change lines if you have bags, as it's usually quite busy.

Hm. I'm tempted to say change to the District line at Hammersmith then to the Northern line at Embankment. There are stairs at Embankment but they're down rather than up, plus one escalator down and a bit of a walk along the flat - it might be a better option.

Sit near the rear of the train to make the connection at Embankment; at Golders Green the second car from the front of the train is nearest the way out.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

Traveller Plus - do you really think that is a better option - changing twice - once at hammersmith and again at embankment?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

The change at Hammersmith will take seconds. In the picture below you'll see a Piccadilly line train on one side of the island platform; the other side of the platform is for a District line train, in this case they're both westbound trains.

The same configuration is in place for eastbound Piccadilly and District line trains. One of the easiest connections to make on the Underground, useful info to keep under one's chapeau.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Hammersmith_station.jpg

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,982 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Central London on Tube with suitcases

someone i know suggested "Baron's court" - is that any better or worse?