We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do you need in London?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How long do you need in London?

I am planning a trip to England and since I will be traveling around a little, I was wondering how long I should plan to stay in London, I've never gone to London when I go England so thought this time I have too. It will be me and my daughter and I will be on a bit of a budget (I know London is expensive), our total trip will be only just under 3 weeks.

Much thanks!

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do you need in London?

Depends what you want to see- if you are planning day trips as well as London sights a little over a week is recommended- Windsor isn't far, (Shakespeare's birth-place) Stratford-upon-Avon is a day trip as is York and Gravesend (where Poca Hontas was buried!) is in Kent (most places in Kent r 2 hours away!)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do you need in London?

It really does depend what you want to see. Most people would say you need 2 weeks to get to know London but a week would be my minimum suggestion. It also depends what you are doing in the countryside and what time of year you are travelling and how you propose to get around (car, train?)

Make a budget and stick to it (difficult I know) and make a list of things you want to see. Remember many museums are free and if you choose to stay in an apartment, you can buy food from supermarkets which works out a lot cheaper than eating out every night.

I know I've been a little vague but once you have done a bit more planning please contact me again and I would be delighted to help (as would others I'm sure).

You can also contact me direct at adamhornets@yahoo.com

Good luck!

Adam C

MT
Viborg, Denmark
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do you need in London?

I always try and stay for 10 days because i think 1 week just seems to short and 2 weeks is a bit to long in a hotelroom.

That way i also get 2 weekends in London which is great since a lot of the biger markets are only open at weekends.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do you need in London?

Thanks for your replies. My mode of transportation will be by train. I plan to start my trip by train by going up north to Sheffield to visit family for about 4 or 5 days, other than that, I would like to visit a few places between there and London (perhaps visiting 2 or 3 places you would do day trips to) but I just didn't know how much time to plan to be in the heart of London for. I know forsure I would like to visit the British Museum, Covent Garden, probably the London Eye, and maybe few other places (plus just walking the streets browsing around). Would you say each one I've mentioned I should budget as a full day?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do you need in London?

To see everything in the British Museum is 2 or 3 days. In one day, you could see the main bits (Mummies, Elgin Marbles etc.) but it is very tiring. Try spliting it up with something else, Covent Garden is only one underground stop away.

Look at stopping at the Travel Lodge at County Hall if you are on a budget. It is next door to the London Eye and a short walk to the House of Parliament.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do you need in London?

Hi Lynzee, Yes a week should be enough. Wandering the streets is great fun and you always learn new things. The British Museum is massive - find a hotel nearby in Bloomsbury and do it in bite size chunks. Covent Garden is really only for people watching and over priced food (and the excelent Transport Museum) but it is fun.

Are you planning to go from Sheffield straight to London by train? I ask as there are not many interesting places en route. Really only Nottingham would be worth considering and that only for the shopping and the oldest (or 2nd oldest) pub in Britain!

Good luck,

Adam C

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do you need in London?

Adam yes, I will be travelling by train from Sheffield to London, should I just be going non stop then direct if there is not much in terms of stopping on the way? how long is the train to and from?

I will be going on a set tour at the British Museum so do no intend on seeing the whole thing, it is a 2 hour tour.

Thanks for the replies, you guys are so helpful!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do you need in London?

If you travel on the London St Pancras-Sheffield line then it'll take a couple of hours to make the journey. Tickets can increase in price if you choose a different route back, and there are also travel restrictions on certain tickets.

I hope your relatives will take you around the Peak District National Park whilst you are visiting. Don't miss Chatsworth House, either.

If you do break your rail journey then I would take Adam's suggestion of Nottingham. The city is built over a series of caves cut into the sandstone and you can put on a hardhat and go and explore. It's great fun.It's located in a 1960's shopping mall. Also there is the 'Tales of Robin Hood' museum in Maid Marion's Way (where else!). If Britain is on its way to becoming a giant theme park then it starts here. After a hearty Friar Tuck's big breakfast you can climb inside a large acorn contraption for a ride around a replica of Sherwood Forest (seeing as the real one is quite a distance away) where crude wooden characters replay a day in the life of our great outlaw! Cheesey but actually quite good. It's located at the foot of a 1960's office block

By the way, when eating at Pizza Hut, usual meal and side salad, remember it was a Frenchman Marshal Tullard who introduced garlic bread and celery to the English diet, here in Nottingham whilst under house arrest after the battle of Blenheim!

Addison, Maine
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do you need in London?

I was just in London on the 14th of Dec. My daughter and I did a quick tour. We stayed at Kensington Cross Hotel, from there we walked to Kensington Palace, walked around the Gardens, down the Princess Diane Memorial Walk and saw the Albert memorial.. Then we went to the Science Museum, Natural History Museum, the Baden-Powell House the first day.

The second day, we started off for the Tower of London, saw the roayal jewels on display, then went to the top of the Monument. We then went to the Southwark Cathedral, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, and Tate Modern. Walked across the Millennium bridge to St. Paul's Cathedral.

Third day we started at Trafalgar Square and walked under Admiralty Arch, walked down St. James Park to Buckingham Palace. then on to Westminster Abbey, just a street crossing away from Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. We then left London for Norwich which was where I was going to visit my daughter at the University of East Anglia.

We took sandwiches for lunch and water bottles. We did eat at Pizza Hut the first night and the second we bought more sandwiches and ate in our room. We were on a very limited budget. I had only $600. USA dollars to spend and that is only 300 pounds. We picked and chose on what we paid to get in to see and picked as much of the free museums that we could find. I also had to pay for a round trip ticket from London to Norwich, train tickets. Once in Norwich, I stayed with my daughter at the Univ. then explored Norwich, and took a day trip into Cambridge and Ely two days. Had a wonderful trip to England. Just remember to pack an unbrella in your purse or day pack you will need it, buy it here as it cost $10.00 or more there. My daughter found that out.......Take lots of pictures and buy postcards to remember , write down everything everyday to remember what you did and saw. I did in my travel journal. Good luck, Any other questions email me at Ronie_L@yahoo.com

If your daughter is into scouting the Baden-Powell House Hostel is a good place to stay and they are friendly. Wish we had found then before we chose the Hotel. But the Hotel was find as well .

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long do you need in London?

Henneth knows more about Nottingham than I do! It is said that the city has the highest female/male ratio in any city in the country (more females). The university gets lots of applications from males. Could be a urban myth!

Seriously, it really is the only possible stop off and it's probably not more than 45 minutes drive from Sheffield so you could see it with your relations. Breaking your train journey may also not be allowed on the chepest tickets.

Check that Chatsworth is open - it closes in the winter. The Peak District is beautiful though. The quaint towns and beautiful walking are well worth a few days.