We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite football team?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,265 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite football team?

For a totally non scientific experiment (and another attempt to keep the UK Forum the most responsive!) I would be interested to know your favourite English (or Scottish) football team and why you support them. Non-brits only please. Those who say Watford (The Hornets) get double points!

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite football team?

Well then, the Watsford Hornets, of course. Actually I don't even know the names of any other teams. (sorry for my ignorance)

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite football team?

Manchester United

It's 1996 and I'm in London. The FA Cup final between Man U and Liverpool is on. My buddy and I want to have a rooting interest so we pick United as we know of the great Eric Cantona and the infamous kung fu kick at Selhurst Park. United wins 1-0 on Cantona's goal and I am hooked.

The 1999 Champions League final and the Treble win remain a highlight as a sports fan. I cherish the memory of attending a night match at Old Trafford against Arsenal. (Took a taxi from London to Manchester - a long story!). Now I happily get up way too early on Satrudays to watch the boys live from the UK - even when it's a $20 fee for pay-per-view.

Good thing I didn't pick Liverpool that day. I would not have had anything to cheer about until this past May.

"Stand Up. Stand Up. Stand Up if you're United........"

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite football team?

Tottenham Hotspurs FC

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,431 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite football team?

On behalf of my friend, Nicole, and my utterly-committed-to-them at all costs (win or lose) ex hus, I must say Arsenal.

Were it my choice, I'd be a supporter of Neasden FC, as I've always held ashen-faced manager Ron Knee in high regard, for not transferring own-goal supremo Baldy Pevsner.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite football team?

Adam: I pick Manchester United because I like the name and think former team member David Beckham is cute.

As a sport, I think football/soccer is really boring. The field is so huge and hardly anything ever happens except a bunch of guys running around trying to trip each other.

And I don't understand why there are so many teams and leagues. Every time I'm in the UK it seems there is some really important game or tournament going on. And in the spring, the BBC will always preempt tennis (French Open, Stella Artois tournament) to show a football game. That is quite annoying.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite football team?

OK so I'm a Brit, but as Mr Cellophane, an Essex boy supporting Tottenham Hotspur, what's that all about? has joined the thread I thought I may as well jump in as well.

Adam knows full well who I support, but for those that don't it's Colchester United. Why? Because it's my home town team.

"Up the U's, up the U's, up the good old white and blues"

I also have a soft spot for the Scottish side Stenhousemuir, possibly because their attendance figures are even worse than ours!

Tony

p.s. Stenhousemuir totally floored the spell check. The best it could come up with was satanism!

toronto
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite football team?

Man United enough said

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite football team?

Well how can you go by the try hards of Luton Town - the Hatters.

Just loved that Eric Morcambe sketch (Morcambe and Wise)where he was dressed as a Roman soldier holding a "staff" that said "SPQR" - at the flick of a button it flipped over and said "Luton FC" - of which at the time he was on the board. Apart frm that its the area I was born in. The place maybe down at heel but its still in my heart-lol.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite football team?

Oh, come on!! On a Sunday afternoon in the US, the real "football" is being played right now! And my team, the Washington Redskins is losing to Denver! Ouch! Sorry, Adam. The only sport I follow is US football.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite football team?

I know Adam said no Brits but I have to agree with TP and say Arsenal.