We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chunnel

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chunnel

Are reservations necessary for Chunnel in October or do you buy the day of?

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chunnel

You can't get reservations for the Chunnel, it's just a tunnel under the sea.

If you mean the Eurostar, yes, reservations are necessary and if you're looking to travel in October (and want to pay a good price) you ought to be booking round about now.

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chunnel

Folks here don't like it called Ch.....-I think Eurostar tickets are cheaper bought 6-12 wks. ahead

Experts??

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chunnel

It's not that we don't like to call it Chunnel, it's that Chunnel is the wrong word. Imagine I went on your local forum and posted this question:

Are reservations necessary for Road in October or do you buy on the day?

Would that make sense to you?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chunnel

You can buy on the day - but like airlines you'd be foolish to do so

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chunnel

Motorists say Chunnel. Pedestrians say Eurostar.

London, England
Level Contributor
556 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chunnel

Shouldn't motorists be saying Eurotunnel?!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chunnel

Alanrow is spot on, you *can* buy tickets on the day, but they'll be really expensive, and that's assuming they are not fully booked. If you book ahead of time, you can get a return for as little as £59, though for that price you have to go with the times that it offers you**, generally the quieter slots in the afternoon once the commuters are out of the way. In October I would say that you need to have your tickets bought by about 3-4 weeks before departure to guarantee lowest fares, this of course varies with demand but demand isn't too bad later in the year.

** That's easier than I've made it sound, try a dummy booking on the website and it will show you available departure slots on any given date, annotated with the actual ticket price. It's a good system.

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chunnel

When you are behind the wheel of a good car with a soft top and the prospect of a blast across France ahead of you, you can call it whatever the hell you want.

Sunflower fields, Lavender scented air. Chateaus, Roadside rotisserie chicken on a baguette. Cheap wine, local homemade cider. It's definitely the Chunnel.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chunnel

Does anyone here really not know what someone means when they say Chunnel?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chunnel

Eurostar:

http://www.eurostar.com/

Eurotunnel:

http://www.eurotunnel.com/

Channel Tunnel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_Tunnel

According to Wiki it is also known as the "Chunnel" though I must admit, Stemplar is the first UK national I've heard use that word since it was being built in, oh, about 1990.

Now stop arguing and go to your rooms without any supper. And no rotisserie chicken baguette or home made cider either.

:-D