We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sim Card

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sim Card

I have a tri band phone from Canada that I will take to London. I need to purchase a SIM card to make no more than 15 local short calls as our friends are staying at a different hotel.

Any suggestion of reasonable SIM card that I can purchase? Approx. how much I should budget?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,877 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sim Card

Consider www.lycamobile.co.uk with rates at 4p per minute. www.lebara-mobile.co.uk also offers rates from 4p per minute; there are also PAYG Sim cards available from Orange, O2 Vodafone, Virgin and other providers which you may buy. £10 should be plenty but topping up is simple, with topup offered at most shops and newsagents.

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sim Card

Make sure your phone is unlocked so it can take other network simcards either than the one you use at home.

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sim Card

Please excuse for my ignorant, but how is top-up work and what is the top up offer?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
185 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sim Card

Just to add a similar question to the above, can you roam in Europe with a UK sim card in your phone?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sim Card

TP, your reply sounds great. It sounds to be a bit too cheap to be true. I don't think T-mobile has it that cheap. I thought most of the rates are competitively similar among carriers. I guess I was wrong.

Kafei, unlock your phone while you are still in Canada. I have an extra SIM card I got from T-mobile when I purchased mine. It was one of those 2 for 1 deal. Only if there is a way I can give it to you othewise it will go to the waste bin when I leave Lonon in mid Sept.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sim Card

Another thing to consider is your friend's mobile carrier. Get one from the same company as your friend's because the rates might be better within the same company. I know T-mobile does.

TP's advice sounds too good to be true but not entirely impossible. I wonder how much those company will charge for the SIM card itself.

vancouver
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sim Card

Thank you so much for your offer.

But from what you have suggested I will need 2 SIM card, one for myself and the other one for my friend. Did you purchased your SIM card in North America?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sim Card

" I wonder how much those company will charge for the SIM card itself".

Competition amongst mobile phone companies in the UK is quite fierce, it is possible to get free SIM cards, you just pay the top-up amount.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sim Card

Hi Kafei,

I got my SIM card right on Oxford Street here in London. I believe that the 2 for 1 deal will be expired in Sept 15 or something like that. Perhaps, you can just ask if they have 2 for 1 at T-mobile.

I believe I paid 5 pounds for the SIM card and a min of 5-pound top-up. If you must absolutely have the SIM card before arrival to London, some airlines sell SIM cards in their duty-free catalog.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sim Card

Hi Kafei,

I got my SIM card right on Oxford Street here in London. I believe that the 2 for 1 deal will be expired in Sept 15 or something like that. Perhaps, you can just ask if they have 2 for 1 at T-mobile.

I believe I paid 5 pounds for the SIM card and a min of 5-pound top-up. If you must absolutely have the SIM card before arrival to London, some airlines sell SIM cards in their duty-free catalog.