We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London accommodation for family

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
qld, australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
London accommodation for family

Just wanting some great info on best, clean, reasonably priced accommodation for a family of 4 adults - is it better to go for apartment, or hotel type accommodation? Many thanks,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London accommodation for family

Personally, I think an apartment is better, especially as there's 4 of you. It's great having a loungeroom to relax in, a kitchen so you can cook/heat something up if you want to, there's often a washing machine and I find it's more relaxing. How long are you staying in London and do you have a preference for a particular area? The locals will be able to give you great advice :-)

On our last trip to London (early last year) we stayed at The Manions in Earl's Court and it was brilliant (especially as there's a lift) and next month we're staying at St George Wharf, near Vauxhall station (last time there was 4 of us, this time it's just my sister and me and the Vauxhall flat was cheaper, but not that much smaller, apart from having only one bathroom = The Mansions had 2 bedroom and 2 bathrooms). We're paying £160 a night at St George's Wharf, which is comparable to what a nice hotel would cost, but there's more room :-)

qld, australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London accommodation for family

Thanks for the info - have been checking out some apartments - around St Katharine's Marina/Dock - but only got info on them, but didn't have anywhere to find prices, etc. Could you please give me the names, etc. of where you have stayed, so I can check them out. Help most appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London accommodation for family

We (parents & kids) stayed at Nell Gwynn House in South Kensington which was recommended by British friends who stay there when they visit London.

There is a one week minimum stay. The apartments have kitchenettes and laundry/washer units which we needed.

It a lovely residential neighborhood. The building is near two tube stations and is a short walk to King's Road where there are restaurants, shops and markets. It is about a 10-minute walk to the V&A Museum and 10-15 minute walk to Harrod's.

There were a couple of quirky aspects - nothing major - which were easily resolved.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London accommodation for family

I have stayed several times in St. Katherine's Docks at apartments run by Hamlet UK. See my reviews under Hamlet UK.

www.hamletuk.com

The Waitrose Grocery Store is right next door, and the area is great. It is about 10 minutes walk from Tower Hill Station.

They take credit cards with a deposit, and then charge you the full amount about 2 weeks before your trip, so I always carry insurance on the amount of the apartment just in case the flights are cancelled, or something happens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London accommodation for family

The St George Wharf apartment is let via VRB0 and the reference number is 78620. The complex has 24 hour concierge, a doctor, a gym (not that I have any intention of using either LOL),a Tesco Express supermarket, Vauxhall station and a large bus-stop is opposite (so good transport access) or you can walk over Vauxhall Bridge to get to the touristy side of the Thames :-)

The Mansions (No. 1 The Mansions) is in Earl's Court and about 5 minutes' walk from Earls Court station, supermarkets very close (M&S Simply Food very close and excellent quality, or really large Sainsburys & Tesco are along on the Cromwell Road - a longer walk, but not a great hike. I don't have The Mansions' website handy, but if you google No. 1 The Mansions, you should find it. Same with VRBO - google that and search London flats and you'll be spoilt for choice. After we'd booked St George Wharf, I found that if you register your booking (BEFORE you send any money) with VRBO, they guarantee your funds up to $5000, but you have to do whatever's required before sending any money (even the deposit). However, the flat we've booked has been rented by another TALF poster and the flat and the owners were given the thumbs up by her (and she's booked it again), so I'm really looking forward to staying there.

qld, australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London accommodation for family

Many thanks for all the wonderful tips and ideas. Will put them all into good use - and will start googling! All these ideas will make us have an enjoyable stay in London! Can't wait!

qld, australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London accommodation for family

Many thanks for the wonderful response to my enquiry. Will put them all into good use and start googling! It will all help to make our stay an enjoyable one. Can't wait!

san francisco
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London accommodation for family

I just returned from a week long stay (with husband and 2 boys)in a this comfortable and convenient 2 bedroom apartment. Great neighborhood, nice shopping street (Upper St.),restaurants and across the street from the Highbury/Islington tube station. The only downside was the walk up to the top floor apartment, as the last flight was quite narrow. The rental agency was extremely professional and I had no problems at all.The owner lives next door and welcomed us with a card, wine, fresh bread, butter and fruit. The website also provides insurance against fraud if you register prior to paying. holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/keywords:12777

London
Level Contributor
63 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London accommodation for family

Worth checking out university halls of residence - try King's College, London Southbank and other London universities

London
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London accommodation for family

My friend referred this site moving2london.com/accommodation/cheap-london… when we had our vacation in London last year. You can check that out and some other stuff about London too.