We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English breakfast

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
middletown
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Topic
English breakfast

Our hotel offers English Breakfast. What is the usual fare for English Breakfast? It is the same as a continental breakfast?

We will be there in 3 weeks and so looking forward to this trip.

Thanks

RIKMIK

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English breakfast

There is some discussion as to what an English breakfast should, or shouldn't contain but the Wikipedia page will give you an idea of what to expect - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_breakfast

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English breakfast

English breakfast is a cooked breakfast, usually including (at the minimum) bacon, sausage, fried or scrambled eggs, toast and baked beans. It may sometimes include mushrooms, black pudding, fried potatoes or fried / grilled tomatoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English breakfast

Continental and English are two different things, although English usually contains some bits of the Continental.

A Full English Breakfast (in a hotel) usually consists of eggs, bacon, sausage, fried bread or hash browns, baked beans, sauteed mushrooms, grilled tomato, toast and butter. Rarely, you might see some chips and black pudding.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English breakfast

Hi, A typical calorie busting, artery clogging English Breakfast known locally as a "fry up" will consist of the following.

Fried Egg, sunny side up or not, your choice, scrambled egg may also be available.

Saugages (bangers) except in Scotland where it is is Lorne Slices.

Fried Bacon.

Fried Tomato.

Fried Mushrooms.

Hash Browns (fried Potato cakes) except in Scotland where it is "tattie scones" (much better).

Black Pudding (not commonly available)

Baked Beans.

If it is a hotel it will be buffet style, you will also have toast with jam/marmalade/butter

There will most likely be a selection of cereals and croissants etc Orange Juice, tea and coffee.

My mouth is watering just writing this!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English breakfast

A FSB is the best!

BTW, in Ireland you will get white pudding.

Also, in some homes you might see bubble and squeak (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_squeak).

middletown
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: English breakfast

Thank you all. I was not expecting all that food. I would guess that if served as buffet there would be many choices. We will do a lot of walking and need fuel.

Again thanks to everyone.

RIKMIK

Level Contributor
196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English breakfast

We stay in the Premier Inn Hotels. Breakfast is £7.95 per person buffet style. Kids eat free.

This includes, cereals, toast, fruit, yoghurts, cooked breakfast, muffins and Tea/Coffee

Oxford
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: English breakfast

You won't need to eat lunch if you make full use of the breakfast. You may also need an elasticated waist on your trousers.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: English breakfast

Mini, I eat FEB, luch, dinner and always something(s) in between. I have a special pair of jeans for when I return from London and for 10 days after I come bck I starve.

But it's sooooo worth it!!!

middletown
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: English breakfast

We may have to rethink our clothing choices!!!!!!

Thanks

RIKMIK