We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween in London

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween in London

Halloween is a big holiday here in the US, but so far I havent seen too much listed on LondonTown.com about Halloween events in London. Like parties, festivals, etc.

I will be in London from Oct 28th to Nov 7th. I know there is a pagan/witch kinda festival at a college there but it's the weekend before I arrive.

I also know there will be fireworks on Nov 5th and I printed out some info on a bonfire at Ravenscourt Park that night which looks like a good bet.

If anyone knows of any interesting goings ons on Oct 31st, if any, let me know!

Thanks! :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween in London

We are generally not as into Halloween as you because we have Guy Fawkes Night to celebrate a week later. Some trick and treating does go on but there isn't usually a great deal in the way of formal events.

www.visitlondon.com lists a spooky walk around Lauderdale House on Highgate Hill to the north of the city and I would think the excellent listings magazine Time Out, which comes out every Wednesday priced £2.50, will have a few more events.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween in London

Yes, I actually use the Time Out guide to London book..I'll probably bring it with me again this year.

I'll check out the website you suggested.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween in London

do your research on Guy Fawkes!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween in London

I met some folks when in London two years ago in early November. They lived about two hours ourside of London, and said that they love to come into the city and go up on the London Eye on Guy Fawkes night.... They told me that you can see fireworks in every direction, a bit here and a bit there.

Sounds like fun!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween in London

Good idea Valleyfog. I wonder what the best time for that would be. I would guess at a "take off" between 21:30 and 22:00.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween in London

If you cannot get a LE flight or are uncertain of best time, then you could go to one of the London heights to get views across town.

Hampstead Heath, just by Kenwood House is good, with views right across London. But it is a bit out of the way.

Top of Primrose Hill is very good (often appears in movies) & you can pop down afterwards for supper or warming drink in local pub.

Star & Garter Hill in Richmond is great, with Richmond 'village' below for nosh & slosh.

The public displays tend to advertised in Time Out & the Evening Standard in the week before 5th November. This year the 5th falls on a Saturday & it's the 400th anniversary of the GUnpowder Plot, so it's likely that there will be plenty on.

BUT bear in mind that Guy Fawkes did try to blow up the seat of British democracy & so, given the events in town this year, it may be a subdued occassion.

It could either way.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween in London

Better still, go to one of the hills that has big firework displays - Alexandra Palace and Crystal Palace. Then you can see these as well as watching the ones in the distance.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween in London

I should have mentioned Alexander Palace - aka Ally Pally.

This URL takes you to a 2004 list of public displays:

www.thisislondon.co.uk/search/…

Check out the 2005 events in the papers just before the 5th November. The Evening Standard will prolly be the best.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween in London

I dont know..even with the bombings earlier this year, it could very well also represent a show of defiance and strength..

The Fourth of July here is a representation of warfare..thats what the fireworks represent..that we prevailed despite opposition.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halloween in London

I apologize if I see confusion where there isn't any. Time Out publishes a guide book every few years. And they also publish a weekly magazine in London with all the upcoming events. You'd want to get the weekly magazine from a newsstand.