We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel card warning

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Travel card warning

Just got into London two days ago, went to Euston Rail station to buy my 7-day paper travel card.

For those of you who previously asked, you may not purchase a Travel card planning to start its use several days after purchase. The card is valid from the time of purchase, and the agent I dealt with was fiercely adament about that.

I know someone said if one agent would not do it to go to another, but then you have to get back on the end of a long queue and hope you don't get the same agent or the same answer from another agent.

We have already used our 2-4-1's at the Tower of London and The Globe. Even when I offered to show it, no one was interested in seeing our travel card. They simply gave us the discount, and I have to say, it does add up to a nice savings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel card warning

The clerk was wrong. The relevant Conditions of Carriage (Point 7.12) clearly state that paper season tickets can be issued up to 7 days in advance.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel card warning

I hope there aren't many clerks who are misinformed. We'll soon be buying 7-day travelcards at Victoria rail station to start the day after we are purchasing them.

It's no fun having to argue with them. :(

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel card warning

I certainly don't think there will be any problem at all getting them starting the day after.

In the days pre-Oyster it used to be the standard question asked of you when you bought a travelcard "Do you want it to start today or tomorrow?"

I like the idea of not showing your card at all. If that's the case everyone can buy Oyster cards :-)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel card warning

<<<I like the idea of not showing your card at all. If that's the case everyone can buy Oyster cards>>>

Yeah, me too. Oyster is so much easier. But until they change the rules, you'd risk not getting the discount if you bought on Oyster instead of paper. :|

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel card warning

Before Oyster cards, I, and dozens of others, bought their weekly tickets at the end of their journey home on a Friday to start the following Monday.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel card warning

There's nowt like a jobsworth.

I had a go with ticket machines at Victoria, KX and Liverpool Street; all of them would allow me to buy a seven day Travelcard to start on the day I visited and up to five days beyond that day. Hmmm.

And the Conditions of Carriage quoted by jdbri do indicate 'printed tickets can be bought up to 7 days before the start date' so grrr to the station agent at Euston.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel card warning

I know that when I bought a 7 day Travelcard last year--I think at Kings Cross--the attendant definitely asked when I wanted it to start, perhaps because it was late afternoon.

But if you get one who won't do it, what do you do?

:-(

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel card warning

<<But if you get one who won't do it, what do you do?>>

Go to one of the machines?

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel card warning

I did argue with the agent, told her I had been informed I could purchase in advance, but she insisted I was misinformed. I should have probably asked to speak to a supervisor, but after spending over an hour trying to find the Europcar return area, we just wanted to be on our way. Plus, my Hubby hates when I do that. We purchased the tickets at 4:30 in the afternoon, so I don't think that's an issue.

It really is more a matter of people who are just not competent at or knowledgable about their jobs. Unfortunately, that seems to be a growing problem no matter what country you live in or where you travel to.

Just as an aside, today for the first time, we were asked to show our train tickets in order to use the 2-4-1's at Hampton Court Palace.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel card warning

We've actually purchased our TravelCards several times months in advance using the VisitBritain website. We're visiting this time in October and I purchased in May. The total cost in USD for (3) 3-day and (3) 1-day travel cards was $125.00. VisitBritain specifically asks what date you want for the start date. We prefer to purchase our TravelCards ahead of time because we use a transfer service from LHR and this allows us to head the ground running for our day of arrival shopping excursion. The TravelCards have the rail logo and qualify for the 2fer discounts.

In the past, the only time we were ever asked to show our tickets for the 2fer discounts was at the Cabinet War Rooms.