We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Am travelling to London the first weekend in November to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The night itself falls on a Sunday night which I've always thought of as a quiet night in London. Anyone any ideas/suggestions as to where we should go to eat/drink or any other activities. We're staying in the Hilton Metropole on Edgeware road.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,246 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

The west end will still be fairly lively but the area around your hotel contains mainly ethnic restaurants so if you like middle or far eastern cuisine you will have plenty to choose from.

The Time Out Eating Guide suggests Mawar at 175A Edgware Road and The Satay House, 13 Sale Place, both Malay restaurants and Patogh, an Iranian at 8 Crawford Place. All are open on Sunday and within a short walk of the Metropole. There are loads more further down Edgware Road in the direction of Marble Arch.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Are you looking for a flash (expensive) meal somewhere intimate or just some good food?

I find www.squaremeal.com fantastic as you can search by cusine, price, location or a variety of all.

London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Just to let you know that Mawar is more of a canteen type place and while the food is good on Edgeware road, the restaurants there aren't exactly swanky if that's what you have in mind for an anniversary dinner. A really nice place nearby is La Porte des Indes, in Marble Arch. You can look this or any other restaurant up on www.toptable.co.uk.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

It doesn't have to be expensive, just special. I would like somewhere memorable that won't break the bank. Don't mind travelling for good food with a nice atmosphere, romantic or at least not communal tables and noisy! Hope this makes sense, thanks for the answers so far

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

I agree with ansa- La Porte des Indes is great - expensive though but worth it for a special occasion - its indo-french and has gorgeous decor!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

The reviews for Porte des Indes on Toptable aren't great?

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Hi athtrasna.

Try Sarastro Restaurant as Sunday/Monday Opera Nights are the best time to visit (in my opinion). The restaurant is just behind the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane and is fabulously different. It has a completely OTT theatrical decor that i've not seen the likes of anywhere else, complete opulence! The Opera Night features a very reasonable set menu (around £25 mark, i think) a string quartet and live opera performances. It's Turkish cuisine and there's plenty of it! Carrot sticks, olives and pitta with a selection of dips is followed by hot starters, choice of main course and sweet pastries (baklava or similar), fresh fruit platter and coffee to finish - you won't go hungry!!

You'll need to book as it's v popular so have a look at sarastro-restaurant.com.

London, UK
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

They're mixed reviews like for most places I guess. I have to say though I've always heard good things about it. However, if you don't fancy it, why don't you do a search on Toptable? I suppose it really depends on what type of cuisine you want. Also, you could go to Charlotte St (near Tottenham Court rd) for there are loads of nice restaurants there (not too expensive). You can catch the bus from opposite your hotel all the way down Oxford St, or get the tube there from Paddington. One particularly good restaurant there is Bam-Bou, a french vietnamese restaurant, which has a lovely atmosphere...

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

Kettners in Soho might be right for you. It's a Pizza Express but with a champagne bar and pianist. And that area is still lively on a Sunday. Or have a look at the Special Occasions section of www.london-eating.co.uk

Al dar Lebanese cafe on Edgware Road (there's a hookah bar next door for pastries, coffee and a smoke afterwards) is a nice, friendly place to eat, but not as a special occasion meal.

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Wedding Anniversary - Sunday night in London

I have to recommend L'Arco. Great Italian, great atmosphere, inimate. They make every occasion special.