We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip and Pin

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Chip and Pin

I noticed a couple of messages about Chip and Pin credit cards. The last time I was in the UK was late 2007 and there was no problem with our non chip credit cards. Has there been any change and would I experience problems . My cards are all signature only cards. Thanks John.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip and Pin

People don't generally report problems. I imagine most London retailers get enough foreign visitors to be used to swiping.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip and Pin

I did not have any trouble, but if you are concerned a number of Canadian banks have started rolling out chip and PIN (Scotia, CIBC, RBC for example) - you can enquire with your bank and they can issue you with replacement cards. Chip/PIN works internationally.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip and Pin

I have a CIBC Aerogold and an RBC Infinite Avion (who names these things?) with chips in place; both cards work just fine in England. My RBC Visa has a signature panel on the back and also works equally well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chip and Pin

So far I haven't had any problems using my non-chip and pin cards, except for sometimes having to point out that the card has no chip so it needs to processed "manually". My most recent trip was April 2009. I hope that holds, as there don't seem to be any concrete plans for chip and pin cards here in the Chicago area.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chip and Pin

I have a Visa with Chip and Pin and a MC without...

I have been in the UK twice this summer and had problem with either. Sometimes you just have to tell the person that its a Non- C&P but after that its all good.

'

The biggest issue I have is remembering the damn PIN!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chip and Pin

*NO problem with either*

New York State
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chip and Pin

I did not have any trouble using a signature card in retail stores or restaurants in February. In one restaurant the server tried to use it as a chip-and-pin card, which didn't work, but was able to put it through when I told her it had no chip.

I didn't try any vending machines, but it did work in a BT telephone. (I don't recommend using credit cards in phones, as it's more expensive than buying phone cards, but it's possible.)

London Transport was able to take the card at a ticket window. The rail desk in Gatwick Airport was NOT able to take it, but I suspected incompetence on the part of the agent.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chip and Pin

We were in London, North Wales and Cornwall in July and had only one problem with the non-chip and pin credit card. The phone store in North Wales (Phones4U or something like that) couldn't deal with the card, so we just paid cash. I'm not sure whether it was just that we weren't in a usual US tourist destination, so they weren't familiar with how to "swipe" the card, or if there really wasn't a way to do it, but it wasn't a big deal as far as we were concerned.

Everywhere else, there was no difficulty. As others have said, we occasionally had to point out that the card didn't have a C&P so had to processed differently.

Cybored

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chip and Pin

Seems like it should be okay. My RBC and MC will go to C & P when my cards expiry date is up. Thanks for the replies. John.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chip and Pin

I use a chip & signature card. I sometimes get the odd confused look from retailers, but once I've explained what's going on it's never been a problem.

That said, it's possible there's a difference between a chip & signature card and an old fashioned card with just a magnetic stripe.