We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hour layover in Gatwick

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Topic
10 hour layover in Gatwick

Coming back from Havana in November, landing at Gatwick in the morning, I have a 'nice' 10 hours at my disposal before flying on to Copenhagen.

1. Can I store two suitcases at a reasonable price in the airport? If so, where at?

2. What's the smoothest and most economic way to head into London for lunch and a stroll around in the rain?

I did a search but found only old threats on similar subjects, so just looking for some recent info.

Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

There is an "Excess Baggage" outlet in the South terminal - I think its 8 pounds per item/day but don't quote me in that.

The quickest way in to London is the Gatwick Express - 35 minutes and 16 pounds. Southern or First Capital Connect trains also do the trip - bit cheaper, not quite so quick (but still do-able)

Felbridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

There is storage at both South and North Terminals. £4 per case per 24 hours. South - 01293 502013 -North - 01293 502014.

Easiest way to London is by train. Gatwick Express is quickest but ezpensive, takes 30 mins. Normal train service is a lot cheaper and takes approx 40/45 mins depending on amount of stops.

Train takes you to Victoria which has plenty of pubs and restaurants and is walking distance to Buck Palace and a few other sights.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

Gatwick has two terminals, North and South, so make sure you know which one you are arriving/departing from, and position your baggage accordingly. Both terminals have storage facilities;

…airport-information.co.uk/baggage.html

You can get trains to various locations in London, Gatwick Express to Victoria is the quickest, but there is not much in the Victoria area, so you would need to change onto the Tube. Given your timescales, maybe I would head for London Bridge station by First Capital Connect service, and spend your time perusing the South Bank and surrounding areas.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,852 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

If it's a nice day (ie the rain is warm) why not go in the opposite direction and visit Brighton?

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

I'll second Brighton, loads to see and do. Train times and fares about the same as the southern service to victoria, and all the major sites within easy walk from the station

http://tourism.brighton.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186273-i249-Bri…

JtheD

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

Thanks for the very detailed info on luggage and trains. Brighton? Why not? Guess a little fresh air might be nice after 11 hours in a plane. Thanks for the tip.

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

Just checked on Gatwick site and the PRICE is 8.00GBP per item per 24 hours for left luggage.

Suggest you check which terminal you are departing from and leave your luggage there before you start your hours away from airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

If you are coming in on Cubana or Virgin from Havana you will arrive in the South terminal. If you are flying to Copenhagen with Cimber Sterling or Norwegian these too leave from South terminal. Have you thought of spending the day in Brighton?

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

Only problem is, if you come down to Brighton, you'll miss your flight home, cos 10hrs in Brighton is NEVER enough ;-)

Seriously, which day and time of day would that be? maybe us locals can help with a nice little speed tour/itinerary of some of the best places to soak up some of what the place has to offer. I'm guess you'll only actually have around 7hrs once you've taken away travel times and pre-checkin etc.

10. Re: 10 hour layover in Gatwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2010, 06:21