We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's LHR T3 like?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's LHR T3 like?

Hi all, Posted on air travel and London pages:

We were originally due to fly LGW - Seville with click air on Sat Oct 24th. That flight has been cancelled following the Veuling merger and we will now be departing LHR T3 at 17.35.

Although we fly regularly we've never travelled from LHR at all, prefering our local (LGW) airport. What can we expect? Is it a seperate terminal in reality, or just part of the same large building as we have found in other places such as BCN? A year or so ago we had a years lounge passes given as a present and made the most of them. Thinking of using a lounge here for £30 for 2.

Is LHR T3 grim, grim, grim? or a nice place to spend an hour or 2? how long a queue can we expect at check in and also security. We're coming from brighton and expect to leave at 14.00 arriving T3 around 15.00 - 15.30. Is 2 hours before flight departure time enough at T3?

Thanks in advance

JtheD

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

I would allow more than 2 hours, because I"ve seen some horrendous Q's at T3 going into security. Hopefully you'll be OK as you are well out of peak holiday time but you never know and the roads around Heathrow are subject to random delays, again you should be ok as well outside rush hour, but we are talking M3/M25 here :-)

Yes its a completely seperate building. It has had a LOT of building works done over the past couple of years, I think the majority of them are now completed and I'll know more on Saturday as I am dropping someone off at T3 early morning.

Definitely, its not a "nice" place to stay but I dont think any airports are, and its better to be in a lounge, especially as there have historically been some areas boarded up for internal works - I'm not sure if those are fixed up now as I havent been in for a few months.

In theory, assuming you are driving, its abut 1.5 hours (you'd have to be going like a rocket to get there in an hour from Brighton, especially the center ??) so I'd add half an hour at least to that, also are you being dropped off, parking, or what? It can be a real trek from the long stay car parks, allow at least 15 minutes and prudently 30, for that. Of course, you may be able to cut it much finer, if you are happy to do that I dont see any point paying for a lounge you may never use.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

Hi Dog :-)

It's not that bad.

T1 is better IMO but you can get a pint of Guiness in O Neils bar, so I think you'll feel at home :-)

Also at T3 there is a yo sushi. I have used it when at the airport, it's ok nothing more.

2 hours is plenty for short haul, should be through in 30 mins but of course you can never be sure of queue times. If long you might miss a pint of Guiness, but unlikely to miss the flight. Personally I wouldn't spend on the lounge, an hour soon passes, shops etc. but up to you.

Have a great time and a cold fino for me!

Stoofer

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,002 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

To answer your other question, the terminals at LHR are all quite separate, although 1, 2 & 3 are in the central area of the airport.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

Thanks Joe and Stoof. We're getting a lift up there so no parking aggro. I drive up the M40 often and it only ever takes me an hour to get to the M25/M4 junc unless the traffic's really bad - and that's in a transit van! That's why I factored 90 mins. (We fly back to LGW btw)

I'll be having one before then Stoof, off to the island for a cheeky few days in 3 weeks.

Thanks again - anyone else?

JtheD

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

And thanks for that Brittraveller

JtheD

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

I never looked at the road part, sorry, that can be lap of gods stuff as Joe says. I've done that trip in an hour and in 3 hours due to motorway jams :-(

Maybe I'd leave 30 mins earlier in case of traffic.

Stoofer

Canada
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

Air Canada flies out of Terminal 3.

I have never had huuuuuge lines at security. Maybe 10 minutes or so at the most. There is a good selection of shops once you are through security but not a great variety of restaurants and bars...

(I always need a drink by that stage and haven't really found one that works for me..)

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

Only other thing to consider JTD is that I think that might be the start of half term for some schools - not sure mine are Uni age now.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

Dead right it's half term Jbart - that's why we're going then - Mrs D is a teacher. So will it be worse?

JtheD

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's LHR T3 like?

I didn't realise it was half term - so yes, it will be worse :-)