We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Pink Oyster Pads

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
New Pink Oyster Pads

9 stations will get pink touch pads from Sunday. These will enable passengers to register that their journey did not pass through Zone 1.

Not sure why Epping is one of these or why Barking has been missed out.

thelondonpaper.com/thelondonpaper/news/londo…

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

Interesting. Presumably, this is being trialed in advance of the East London Line opening/reopening next year when more journeys avoiding central London will be possible. I presume that Barking was omitted from the first installations because the station is run by C2C rather than Transport for London or London Overground.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,758 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

This is more for locals than tourists so if anyone is confused, please don't be!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

"Not sure why Epping is one of these or why Barking has been missed out"

Epping isn't one of the 9 stations. Epping was used as an example if someone was travelling from Epping to Richmond they could change trains at Stratford, which is one of the 9, to avoid travelling through zone 1.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

Oh yes, I miss-read it. Gospel Oak is there, so no need for one at Barking.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

This thread desperately sounds like the next message should be...

...Mornington Crescent

London
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

@railtraveler.

Yes - you've got the general idea. Allow the system to calculate a lower fare if you avoid zone 1.

However, the reopening of the East London Line will not be such an opportunity. Shoreditch has been re-zoned into Z1, so any journey across the city on ELL will still be the higher fare.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

Bloody hell. I'm a local, and I'm confused.

I assume that this is another way to confuse the poor unsuspecting traveller: touch when you shouldn't and you get charged extra, don't touch when you should and you get charged extra.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

Dead easy - if you are doing a journey from outside Z1 to somewhere else outside Z1, and you have a route (with a change) that keeps you outside Z1 all the way, when you change you touch the pink pad, to show that you followed a non-Z1 route so get charged less on Oyster PAYG.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

As with many things Oyster, it is much easier to use than it is to understand why it works.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Pink Oyster Pads

I agree with Adam that it will mainly affect locals (or those that do not have Freedom Passes) but we do get enquiries from people staying in, say, Hampstead wanting to visit Kew Gardens or the Westfield Shopping Centre.