We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is london more expensive than paris?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,204 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Is london more expensive than paris?

Just out of curiosity, ive been told that london is way more expensive than paris, is this true. What are the average costs for food there, not posh places, just average, like hat would it cost for a coffee and some cake.bread milk, a pint, just basic stuff.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,674 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

> ive been told that london is way more expensive than paris, is this true. <

And have you been told one is ruder than the other? ;-)

Use Google - it really is your friend. I'd say London and Paris are fairly similar price-wise.

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

Basic stuff in a supermarket was probaly similar, but coffee in a cafe in London is way cheaper than Paris.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

A coffee and some cake: Around £4. Milk: Around 90p for 2 pints. Loaf of bread: £1. Pint of beer: £3. Meal for two at a medium range restaurant: Around £40-50.

I don't go to Paris much so I have no direct comparison, but I've heard of tourists paying up to 8 Euros just for a coke there on the Champs Elysses. London's not all that expensive, or at least I don't think so... granted, property is obscenely expensive, but an average night out in London will cost you *about* the same as a night out in Edinburgh or Manchester, give or take a tenner or so.

Has anyone mentioned Rome yet? ;-)

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

You can get food in both London and Paris to suit all budgets, though I haven't eaten anywhere in Paris that's quite as cheap as Stockpot (one in Panton Street, one in Old Compton Street) or a Wetherspoons. Beer and most other drinks are substantially cheaper in London. Most of the major museums and art galleries are free in London too, something people seem to overlook completely when making comparisons.

Nearly everyone I've met who say London is expensive almost invariably quote the price of single fares on the Tube. Single fares were set high to encourage (or blackmail) people to use Oystercards or Travelcards. Fares work out at around half if you use pay-as-you-go Oyster cards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,674 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

> Around 90p for 2 pints... Pint of beer: £3. <

Where do you shop? 4 pints is 99p and Wetherspoon's do a selection of ales for under £2.

Hayti, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

Having just recently been to both places, I'd say prices seemed relatively comparable, at least outside of the tourist areas (because you will pay OUT THE NOSE for things as simple as a water in the touristy areas - try to avoid that, if at all possible).

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

Jdbri: 2 pints of milk is 90p in Waitrose or a local convenience shop... a pint of beer is £3 everywhere BUT Wetherspoons or Sam Smiths, but then you very well know that.

I did hesitate to post some examples because I knew somebody (and why was I not surprised at who that was) might say they could get it cheaper elsewhere. But the OPs question wasn't "where is the cheapest place I can get beer" was it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,674 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

> ... not posh places <

< ... Waitrose >

Ahem.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

Hardly Harrods is it? ;-)

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,392 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is london more expensive than paris?

Just to get this in context, the OP had rather an expensive time in France/Paris recently.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187070-i12-k307…