We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Korea
12 posts
Save Topic
Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

i'm 26 year-old woman.

this is my first trip to london. i'll do feb.5~10

i majored English language & literature.

so i'm interested in English writers.

I want to join in "original london walk"on sunday & monday.

on sunday afternoon, I'll join in jack the ripper and on Monday - Explorer Day ...

Jack the ripper is fun? i heard Donald was great...is he?

for Explorer Day...which is better bath or CANTERBURY?

And..it there any place you want to recommend me?

thank you .

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

For what I presume is a first visit to England, I would choose Canterbury for your explorer day. More English history, the Chaucer connection.

The Jack the Ripper walk is excellent if you have a morbid interest in serial killers. If not, I think you could do better. I don't have a Walks pamphlet handy, so I don't know the current Sunday walks, but I enjoyed the Sunday morning Greenwich walk, which starts at the Tower of London with a boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich. In the afternoon you could stop in at the excellent Docklands museum, which gives a history of the Thames and the port of London.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

The Original London Walks Jack the Ripper tour is usually very crowded. I had a terrible experience on this walk last February, however I have heard that now when they have a large number of walkers they divide the group into manageable groups w/a guide for each. I'm sure it is still sort of a cattle drive. And do not expect to have Donald Rumbelow as a guide. They use whomever is handy and as Rumbelow has some personal issues, he may not be available. Friends who just returned from London took several of their other walks and gave them high marks as to the knowledge, personality of the guides along with manageable groups. I'll be giving them a second chance myself in February. Their brochures are available everywhere in London. Conversly just type in OLW an any search engine for their schedules. If you would like a fun quasi-literary evening, head over to the Olde Cheshire Cheese pub for a pint and a bite. You can sit at Charles Dicken's favorite table and perhaps be inspired by the spirit of the lexicographer Samuel Johnson. Have a great trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

You might also want to consider going to see Shakespear's Globe theatre. It is a reconstruction of the original Globe theatre and whilst there aren't any plays on whilst you are in London, there is an exhibition and a tour of the theatre.

It is right next to the Millenium Bridge and the Tate Modern gallery on Bankside - a short walk over the bridge from St Paul's cathredral. Their website is http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

If you decide to take an Explorer Day to Bath, stop-by the Jane Austen Centre. It's small but may prove interesting to you. Also, tour the Assembly Rooms & Costume Museum.

If you prefer smaller groups, take one of the daytime London Walks. They are much less crowded than the nighttime walks, and you will get many chances to ask the guide questions as you stroll along.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Original london walk-i majored English language & literature

For your explorer day I would choose Bath. The Jane Austen Centre is very good, although not located in a house she actually lived in, those are located elsewhere. Alexander Pope, Wordsworth and Sheridan are amongst other writers associated with Bath.

Canterbury is a wonderful city, even if some unsympathetic modern architecture has crept in as a result of WW2 bombing, but it's link with Chaucer is mainly from his Tales. It doesn't contain his birthplace or grave or any building associated with him. M.P for Kent he may have been but he spent his time in London not Canterbury. The great writer Christopher Marlowe on the other hand was born and educated in the city.

As a literature major, above all, you should be thinking about a day trip to Stratford-on-Avon, either on the train or by organised tour.