We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Burbank
Level Contributor
345 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Well, last night was the night to print out some info on the Cotswolds..there seems to be many different villages dotted around the map..I noticed the tours will stop at Burford and Bouton on the Water...is that because they are the *best* or is this just where I will run into tourists scurrying all over? If anyone could recommend a route, I'll be coming north, I *do* want to see Castle Combe for sure, but after that..which villages are particularly special?

Also, anyone ever been to the Butterfly Zoo in Stratford Upon Avon? Almost sounds as interesting as the Shakesphere stuff!!!

Thanks

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

SerafinsGirl, will you have your own car and can go wherever you want? And how long do you have? I spent a week driving around in the Cotswolds last month but didn't nearly cover it all.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Dixie, how was it? Love the smaller towns we have been to in the U.K.. Rye was the smallest. Would love to see quiet village and go to a country pub. Pub

Burbank
Level Contributor
345 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Yes, I do have a car, but this is going to be a one day drive thru..its the only way I can do it this time out..choose a road and keep going north.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Chippping Camden - really a large village bordering on town but very lovely with a wonderful main street. Walking from the main street up round the corner to the church which overlooks the country side - very nice town.

My second (also a large village/small town) is Morton in Marsh which to me has the benefit of being attractive but also not set under some sort "glass" - its a working place with a Tuesday market in the quaint main street. (I like it because we rent a cottage there). NIce pubs 2.

Upper and Lower Slaughter are quaint.

Bourton on Water I find yuck and would place on my least liked village- about 200 metres in the main street with the stream running through is nice - the rest I find ugly in the extreme and cannot understand the high ratings it gets.

Broadway is also nice but a bit too "twee" for my liking.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Pub, I LOVED the Cotswolds. I never saw a village I didn't like. Some may be better than others, but they're all picturesque. We stayed in Winchcombe, which is about as quiet as you can get with some really nice pubs too. I recommend it.

Serafinsgirl, Castle Combe is pretty far south of where I was, but if that's your first stop you can keep driving north and eventually come to the great little villages that 6andy6 mentioned. I agree with him on all of those. You'll need a good map and/or a GPS to get you where you want to go. The roads are not layed out in any kind of sensical order (is that a word?). You'll probably end up on the A429 through Cirencester and on north to Bourton-on-the-Water. From there you could drive through the Slaughters, a few miles west of the A429, and then meet up with it again at Stow-on-the-Wold. Further on to the north is Moreton-in-Marsh (eat at the Marsh Goose or Annie's if you're there at mealtime). Then get the A44 west and catch 4081 north to Chipping Campden. Hidcote Manor gardens are nearby to the north if you're interested in some absolutely beautiful landscaping. And Broadway is not far to the west. (The Lygon Arms is a good stopping place.) Or you can get back to the A429 and take it on up to Stratford-upon-Avon if you've a mind to. That will probably be way more than you can cover in a day. Wish I were going with you. It was rainy and my daughter was sick so we didn't get out of the car as much as I would have liked.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Take a look at picturesofengland.com. They have a whole section on the Cotswolds. Lots of great photos and info.

Burbank
Level Contributor
345 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Well, I've got a somewhat fuzzy map I printed out from the Internet! haha! Plus a giant map of the entire country.

Im used to getting lost, it's okay. You never know what you might find along the way. Should be fun. I'll check out the towns you suggested, dixie. Thanks!

queensland,australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

Dundonnelldreamer

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

This looks like a helpful page in terms of deciding what to do in the Cotswolds:

britainexpress.com/Where_to_go_in_Britain/Ma…

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must See villages in the Cotswolds?

You would not regret a £7-8 investment in the Ordnance Survey Cotswolds map. It covers the whole area. You won't get lost and you *will* be able to find places with minimal frustration. It makes a great souvenir for interesting reading.

Villages worth driving through/stopping for a walk through:

Stanton

Ampney Crucis

Burford

Cirencester

Snowshill area

Stow-on-the-Wold

Painswick (so I hear)

Broadway

Chipping Campden

Bibury

Eastleach

Upper Slaughter

Lower Slaughter

Bourton-on-the-Water

I know there are others I'm forgetting...