We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

wow...twas my first trip abroad. Never again would I fly into Heathrow.

A bus is not the same as a coach. I thought I spoke English till I got there. The people were very friendly but not at all efficient nor accurate. I walked for 1.5 hours through terminals 1,2,3 and 5. Insane.

The symbols for trains and busses mean nothing. Oh and the train is not the same as the express.

Far to big and confusing. I almost missed my flight home through no fault of my own. I had 3 flights in one day and of course Heathrow had issues even though British Air was on time so the next flight was almost missed.

I'll fly into Glasgow next time. For me...never again Heathrow.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

Well 1 less passenger a year (out of c. 80m) is a help, so many thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

withrespect,

Can you explain - what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

What symbols are used for trains and buses that you would understand? (by the way, Glasgow is run by the same company, BAA, so I assume the signs are the same).

You should have been aware that there are differences between English as spoken in the UK and in North America, eg garbage/rubbish; sidewalk/pavement. What caught you out?

Taking 3 flights in one day was 'brave'. (British understatement or irony - I mean 'crazy'!) :-)

cheers

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

Since I live in Greece, I know many Greek people who went to a University in London. Their parents often visited them and since most of them flew OA they were landing at Heathrow. Most of them had no or very poor English. All of them commented how easily they navigated. The place is full of signs, all very clear.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

hi peterscot. Thanks for not being rude. lol unlike the previous poster.

Ok...so I was trying to take a bus to Windsor. I honestly still do not understand the difference between a bus and a coach. The symbol world wide (I've travelled but mostly to the caribbean, mexico, usa etc) for a bus is well a bus.

After about an hour of ...go this way go that way instructions I see a place that says TICKETS...one says TRAIN the other says COACH. That would seem logical to me. It wasn't right. The employee said no you want a bus not a coach. Okie dokie then.

Same deal coming back....I needed a train between Terminal 3 and 5. I look for the train symbols...but there is a TRAIN and there is an express. They aren't the same thing. For those newbies it's very confusing...sorry but true.

As far as Heathrow...after a 7 hour flight...we sat on the runway for another hour upon arrival as they had no docking station open for us to pull up too.

On the way back...British Airways was on time (10 mins early) and I had 1.5 hours to catch my Air India flight. Again sat on the runway as Heathrow couldn't get the luggage trolly going. Almost missed that third flight.

Listen, Pearson isn't any better so don't flame me here. At least the people in London were friendly unlike Toronto but not at all accurrate or solution based it seemed.

Just giving you my perspective from a newbie see? lol

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

meh...all I can say is ...coming from North America our standards of service are not the same as I experienced in London or Windsor.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

A bus in London is a red bus (double-decker, bendy or regular) that will take you around the city.

A coach is a pullman that will take you from place to place.

There are trains, express trains and underground trains. All are trains but they have to be distinguished somehow so that people won't get confused.

If I'm not mistaken, all around the world there are different names for city buses and intercity buses, city trains and intercity trains, underground and overground etc.

7. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:35
CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

thank you athens.

I think I'll fly to Glasgow next time and avoid Heathrow...it just wasn't for me.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

Glasgow might be compact but don't expect a better airport than Heathrow. Personally, I had my worst experience up there.

Each to their own of course but I'll take Heathrow over Glasgow any day or night.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow is not foreign user friendly

K..thanks.

Another thing was the duty free people spraying perfume on people before you get on the plane is a nightmare for migraine sufferers like myself. I wish they wouldn't do that. :(