We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trip From London To Turkey & Visit to Gallipoli

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Side Trip From London To Turkey & Visit to Gallipoli

I am in the very early stages of planning our next trip to London in early 2007 with my family of 2 parents & 2 kids(then 17 & 12). I would really like to do a quick side trip to Gallipoli(probably with 17 year old son). I have picked up about the cheap airlines but seek advise on the shortest time we should allow for this side trip give the rest of the family will be alone in London. Will also check the Turkey forum but always would refer to the helpful peaople on the London forum.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trip From London To Turkey & Visit to Gallipoli

AussieJohn, it really depends on what your purpose of the trip is. If you just want to visit ANZAC cove and nothing else then 3 days would do it. If you want to see anything of Turkey, I would say 5 days at a bare minimum. Are you planning on going for the ANZAC celebrations or earlier in the year? You will need to book and arrange transport and accomodation VERY early if you plan on being there for April 25th as thousands of people stay overnight for the dawn service.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trip From London To Turkey & Visit to Gallipoli

Thanks Londongirl. No as much as I would love to be there for Anzac Day t can't be at that time of year due to my kids school commitments. And it will really be just a visit to Gallipoli rather thean a full on visit to Turkey due to time restraints. Thank-you for your imput.

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trip From London To Turkey & Visit to Gallipoli

Well whatever you decide I'm sure you and your son will find it a moving experience. I know that just after this years service they were doing some works to the cove itself, so it maybe worth investigating to make sure you won't be arriving at a construction site.