We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy a curling iron?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I buy a curling iron?

Instead of bothering with a converter, I'm just going to leave my curling irons at home and buy a cheap one to use while I'm in London. What is the name of a store in which I could find one? I'll be staying at Rubens near Victoria Station and would like to pick one up around there if possible.

Here, I would just go to Rite Aid or Walgreens (or a local pharmacy) and pick up a cheap one...do chemists in London sell them as well?

Thanks for any info...

Boston
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

Hi Teri,

If you do want to take your flat iron with you (I always do), you can get a voltage converter at Radio Shack for US $7.99. (The prongs also fit UK outlets, just in case you wondered.) That's the price in Boston, not sure about Michigan prices. Best investment ever, as I have never ever had a problem in the last 18 or so trips.

Now, I just leave my converter in my suitcase, as I am always halfway packed to return to London and environs.

Enjoy your travels!

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

$7.99??? That's all??? My dearest sweetest husband said he checked them out for me and they were $35!!! What the heck was he looking at? <lol> Perhaps I will head into Radio Shack myself and take a look.

My thanks to everyone who offered advice (and I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this question...that makes me feel markedly less dorky!). =)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

Terry, dorky? Noooo!!! Hair is the most important think after hotel, flights and currency exchange! The weather of London won't do you any favours and you have to be prepared!

My advice would be to buy a relatively cheap curling iron and not an adaptor for your American one. Even if it doesn't "fry" (many do) it won't work properly with the difference in voltage.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

Most important thinG!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

I found a perfectly adequate flatiron (straightener) for my hair at a Superdrug store in London last month for £7.99 (about US$12.80). No worries about voltage conversions, and it doesn't have to work for years, just on my trips to England. My more expensive flatiron stays safely at home. All other electrical gadgets I travel with, have automatic dual voltage conversion built in so I just use plug adapters for them. I always use hotel hair dryers, have never stayed a place they weren't offered free for guest use. If I ever did, I'd also buy that there.

I'm no expert but I think the high-heat producing things like hair dryers and flat or curling irons, can be the hardest for converters to handle because they draw so much power. I also think that the reason so many European (including UK) hotels and B&Bs provide hair dryers, is that too often they had their wiring fried or fuses blown by Americans trying to use their own hairdryers (with or without converters!). It's kind of self defense as much as guest services, I think.

Boston
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

Teri, I'd agree - definitely not dorky. London weather can frizz even very frizz-resistant hair. It can do a number on mine. Someone once told me that a great coat and great hair are what most people will see, so invest wisely in both. (Walking shoes, too.)

All I did was bring my flat iron into Radio Shack, and said to the salesperson that I needed to convert voltage, not just the number of slots available for prongs. The gentleman was really nice, and had a whole set of converters for different countries in a small column I had not found (walked past it several times). I just had to say I was going to the UK.

My flat iron isn't a very expensive one, but it appears to be made well. Maybe that's why it hasn't fried out in 18 trips?

I'd check in with Radio Shack, just to see what they say. They do get this sort of question. Again, this was in Boston, where we've more universities than nearly imaginable, so there are students from just about every country on the planet here. I suspect they hear every sort of question, so don't be shy. If you still feel uncomfortable, you can pick up a flat iron at Boots... but if it helps, I am bringing my trusty flat iron and converter with me on my flight on Monday! ;o)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
730 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

I have a qn. Are the curling iron at Boots good? Is there any particular brand to look out for. GHD etc? Thanks

I have a big babybliss curler and my husband is against me bringing that big curler out.

We have been fined before for heavy luggage hahaha so I must learn to stop bringing heavy things.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

>>I'd check in with Radio Shack, just to see what they say<<'

Good advice!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

After several tests and trials, I find that Remington straighteners are better than GHDs and faaaar better than Babyliss. They are ionic, ceramic and have teflon coating. They reach 220C, alhtough I never use them on a higher temp than 200C. I wouldn't change them for the world!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Where can I buy a curling iron?

Oooooops, I forgot to reply to Yemaya's post that if you search the forums you will read about many travellers who had their hair dryers, irons etc fried even though they were using the proper adaptor/converter. Just because yours lasted, doesn't mean that another one won't explode.