We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

You've all consistently come up with numerous places you recommend. Perhaps the list would be much shorter of places to steer clear of? I've jotted down your suggestions, but for the many spur of the moment meals, I'm sure we'll want to pop into the nearest place our tired feet can take us. Are there any pubs or restaurants that stand out as a bad idea altogether?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,631 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Aberdeen and Angus Steak Houses should be avoided. I don't mind the Garfunkel's chain but many here dislike them.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

I agree with Adam. The booths at Aberdeen can look cosy and inviting to the average weary tourist, but the food is not the best. Only go there in a pinch. You'd actually be better off grabbing something from one of the grocery stores.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Those steak houses mentioned above.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Completely agree with comments about the steak houses mentioned above.

If you crave steak & frites, then go to Chez gerard.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
688 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Some pubs that didn't do much for me:

The Pride of Paddington near Paddington station never did much for me - the customers seemed surly and unwelcoming.

The Shakespeare near Victoria - was mass chaos when I was there (but was on a weekend and many other nearby pubs were closed which was why I ended up there)

Paxton's Head - was all lager and loud music the last time I was there.

Cheshire Cheese (48 Crutched Friars) under Fenchurch Street station. Was a friday night and very loud and a bit unruly for an old 37 year old like myself.

Of course all of the above show my bias against loud music and too many people in my pubs! Others would rather be there than my favorites.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Avoid any of the boozers that rate zero pints at www.fancyapint.com. Not that many visitors will be heading toward the Duke of Edinburgh in Plaistow or the Ship and Shovel in Barking, but some might still think that the Punch & Judy at Covent Garden is an example of the real London experience - it's not, it's awful.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

We've found it very helpful when looking for a pub or restaurant for a meal to ask one of the locals in the area. They will let you know the good places and the ones to avoid. :o)

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Another vote for the steak house chain mentioned above, I'm also in the avoid Garfunkels at all costs camp.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

A funny review of the top 10 bars to avoid in London appears here: viewlondon.co.uk/home_feat_10things_barstoav…

London Eats has a list of London's top 20 worst restaurants, based on customer ratings, at

www.londoneats.com/search/bestworst.asp…

=Worst&WhichArea=&WhichPostcode=&WhichTube=&WhichFoodType=All%20Food%20Types

London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs/restaurants to stay away from...

Yup the steak houses mentioned about. I amazed they are still in business, but I suppose they attract the tourists who don't know. Another pet hate is Bella Pasta, food just seem to be the same quality of something taken from a packet and microwaved.

As IowaLad noticed pubs near mainline train station tend to be poor, you're better off walking a little further away from them to find better drinking holes.