We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BritishAir carry-on luggage.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
BritishAir carry-on luggage.

I am flying into Heathrow this month, where I will have a nearly

7 hour layover. I bought a piece of luggage labeled "carry-on size".

It is a small duffle with small wheels and a pull handle

which dissapears into the case. I just read that BA only allows

bags 22" as carry on. Mine is 22" X 12 X 8. but with the wheels it is 221/2".

I really dont want to get to Dulles and not be allowed to bring my

carry-on with me. But it will be SO nice to have my carry-on things

on wheels for the sleep-deprived 7 hours while I wait for my next

flight . I have toyed with the idea of putting a strong garbage bag

inside my duffle, and if I am rejected, dump the contents into the garbage bag. (glamorous, but , hey in a pinch at least I will have everything with me) ). I do mind throwing my new

duffle away before boarding if this dilemma occurs. Or, I can just use an old large shopping bag to hold both my purse and knitting.

I have always used a shopping bag before, but this pulls my back and hip out of kilter sometimes lugging a weight around.

So- - how precise is BA about the carry on luggage? I know this is a fairly new ruling. And I know luggage is tested thru a metal

shape. I thought, it is only slightly longer ( by 1/2", ) and maybe I could slant the bag thru the metal shape.

Anyone have any experience?

My traveling companion and I both are aware that purse must be shoved into the same parcel as the rest of the stuff.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

The half inch really shouldn't make too much of a difference, especially if the bag is squashy. If it's a snug fit in an overhead locker cabin crew may be able to store it in a closet for you, but it may not be accessible to you during flight if the closet is in another cabin.

The good news is that you can carry a personal item as well as your carryon - you need not stuff your handbag into the duffle bag.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

I'm sure I saw carry-on roller bags that were over the 22 inch mark, when we flew in December with BA. As TP said, the 1/2 inch is not a visible difference.

The check in staff didn't even glance at our carry-ons, we also had a smaller personal bag each.

Just make sure it isn't too heavy as they state that the passenger should be able to place the bag in the overhead by themselves (unless the passenger has a disability of course).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

I'm sure I saw carry-on roller bags that were over the 22 inch mark, when we flew in December with BA. As TP said, the 1/2 inch is not a visible difference.

The check in staff didn't even glance at our carry-ons, we also had a smaller personal bag each.

Just make sure it isn't too heavy as they state that the passenger should be able to place the bag in the overhead by themselves (unless the passenger has a disability of course).

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

Last year, when we flew BA for the first time, the flight crew at Dulles was actually checking carry-on bag size. But they did their level best to force the bags into the size check box! This year I don't think anybody gave a carry-on bag a second glance.

The "personal item" also varies all over the place. Even though you get the impression that it should be something small, like a purse, it's more likely to be a full size backpack!

I think if you just look confident that your bag is the correct size, then nobody will ask. I would also imagine that, if things do go badly if someone measures your bag, they'll check it for you at the gate.

Cybored

London, United...
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

Never say never, but I'm 99.9% sure you won't have a problem, though slightly dependent on how over zealous the BA crew at Dulles are.

I've carried a similar size bag (I've just gone and measured it) on about 50 BA flights in the last 2 years and never had a problem. I bought it because the bag is the maximum size for hand luggage permitted but you're right in that the wheels stick out a bit.

I've even taken it on budget European carriers (for example Easyjet) who are MUCH more stringent than the likes of BA and still never had a problem so I'm confident you'll be fine.

As for the personal item, does this not differ from airport to airport (i.e. country to country) rather than airline to airline?

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

It's British Airways, not British Air.

And you shouldn't have any problem, but no-one can guarantee that you won't. If someone is feeling in the mood to clamp down and be difficult then they just might get funny about it, but it's very unlikely.

I have the same situation with my rolling carry-on bag - it's about half an inch too long if you measure from handle to wheels, but with a bit of ramming, it would probably fit into a box the right size. And with a subtle bit of angling it easily slips into the open frame type measuring cage things they mainly use. I certainly had no problem flying with it as hand luggage on a couple of BA flights recently. And my husband has used it a couple more times, too, also with no issues.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

Yeah you should be okay, I flew British Airways last week and they weren't checking sizes of hand baggage at all, either in London or Canada. Seeing the size of some of the suitcases people insist on calling hand luggage, they probably should, but that's a different debate! As others have said, it's going to be dependent on the staff at Dulles, but I think BA are generally quite generous with what they'll call hand luggage.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

<< Its British Airways, not British Air>>

While that may sound pedantic it is one of my pet hates.

London
Level Contributor
407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

BA aren't too fussed about handbaggage size. I think it's more down to the mood of the check-in staff.

I've flown BA numerous times and people frequently carry large rucksacks as carry-ons which are clearly above the size limit.

As long as the flight isn't completely full I don't think they will have an issue.

Only once in all my years of travelling have I been asked to deposit my carryon suitcase into the hold (and it's well within the limits). This is because I was one of the last onboard and no overhead space was left...

Taught me not to stay in the lounge until the last minute!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BritishAir carry-on luggage.

This carryon issue is one reason I use an Eddie Bauer backpack as my carryon. You'd be surprised what I can stuff in there.

- 1 qt ziplock with basic toiletries

- all electronics (camera, ipod, chargers0

- complete change of clothes (undies, shirt, socks, extra sandals plus something to sleep in - big t-shirt)

- book

-snacks

- my stuffed animal and my troll dolls

FYI, I have found (from research) that many pcs of luggage sold as carry-on actually do not fit within the airline's regs. Also it is made more difficult because all airlines flying similar aircraft (such as 757), do NOT have same size requirements.

WITHIN airline, just as Jet Blue that flies A320 and Embraer 190, the carryon requirements are Different.

and a few other assorted items.