We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to have dinner before theatre

florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to have dinner before theatre

We have tickets to see "We will Rock You" on a thurs. night. Show time of 19:30 ( I need to get used to military time before my trip.)

It is playing at the Dominion Theatre. I need suggestions on a "Nice" dinner out that won't take hours, we are open to a variety of different foods, just not to spicey. We are staying on Park Lane, so anywhere between would be great. Also whats the best way to get to the Theatre, not sure how far away it is.

Thanks

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

It's right next to Tottenham Court underground station.

Personally, I like Brown's Brasserie in St Martin's Lane, which is a 5-minute walk away

browns-restaurants.co.uk/menu-coventgarden.p…

or otherwise just walk up and down Charlotte Street and pick one of the restaurants there, because there are many different cuisines there.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,954 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

Charlotte Street as Glyn says.

Or look at www.toptable.com (or it might be .co.uk) for ideas on cuisines and offers at the moment.

"Pre-theatre menus" abound and give tremendous value, and obviously the restaurant know you want to be out by a certain time, so there is little hanging about during these meals.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

Right next to the Dominion is a new Garfunkel's restaurant. Don't be tempted to use it - you can do much better.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
802 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

jdbri,

I am coming to London next May but I am still having nightmares about the meal I had at Garfunkels back in 2002. I thought they may have closed down by now. It was the worst meal that I have ever eaten / not eaten.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,469 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

Da Mario on Endell St is one of the best Italians for food, not a flash place, just great cooking. Charlotte St. my favourite London street for eating out.

Stoofer

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

There are a few amazing Korean restaurants nearby. If you walk towards the Holborn direction, you'll see Centre Point. Go through Centre Point into a quieter road and you'll see about 4 Korean restaurants. The first one on the right is amazing.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

We are doing the exact same thing in a couple of weeks time and hoping to go here. It has some good reviews and the set menu looks good value for money.

http://www.cafeemm.com/index.html

Hope the show is good!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
918 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

>>I am still having nightmares about the meal I had at Garfunkels back in 2002. I thought they may have closed down by now. It was the worst meal that I have ever eaten / not eaten.<<

You too? I dined (didn't eat much, really) at the Garfunkels near Gloucester Road tube station back during that time period. Ick. I was astounded by how they seemed incapable of producing edible versions of what should be simple food - eggs, hamburgers . . .

I believe they allegedly serve "American" or "American style" food. Which as I have posted before around here, is a criminal slander against two fine continents and every nation on them.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

Arbutus and Wild Honey both have excellent pre-theatre 3 course prix fixe menus. Another alternative is the pre-theatre menu at one of my favorite Indian restaurants, Tamarind.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
80 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to have dinner before theatre

Never mind Garfunkel's, just don't go anywhere near a restaurant in London which has the words 'steak' or 'American-style' in its name.

Some of the chains are very acceptable (Zizzi, Pizza Express, Strada, etc) but they are chains... there are dozens of small family-run restaurants in the West End.

Good luck.